TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Are Prime Time TV Pharmaceutical Ads Bad For Your Health?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:Do you experience confusion? Anxiety? Feelings that your life is out of your control?

Televised advertisements for prescription drugs may be partly to blame, new research suggests.

Researchers found that while the overwhelming majority of the ads made arguments for the use of drugs, only about a quarter of them described the causes of the medical conditions the drugs are designed to treat.

The study also found that emotional appeals were common, and about 85 percent emphasized regaining control over some aspect of life...

full article: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2833516&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312
My personal opinion is that these ads should be banned. They encourage the viewer to act as their own physician and could pose health problems. Drugs should be prescribed by your physician, NOT by a drug company who is only interested in your $!

At the very least, they should ban those glow in the dark butterflies...

... they scare the crap out of me!

Big Grin
[quote author=FiberGuy link=topic=7079.msg42125#msg42125 date=1170431971]

At the very least, they should ban those glow in the dark butterflies...

... they scare the crap out of me!

Big Grin
[/quote]

Happy001

ps//Thanks for the laugh---I needed it today!
Yes. Very bad.

Now we ADVERTISE drugs on TV??????? WTF?????

I didn't watch broadcast TV for years--I mean, at least 10 years in a row. I rent movies, buy videos, etc.

Anyway, in this new house we can pick up CBS, so I can watch CSI, Numb3rs, & Shark (fuzzy, but it's free).

Not having been exposed to the gradual, probably subtle shift in commercial "flavor" since the 90s, I came at the commercials from a different, skeptical perspective.

For example,
During CSI: Miami, they rarely show pharmaceutical commercials, or "old person" commercials. They showcase a lot of "hip" products like electronics, cel phones, movie rentals, department store sales.

During CSI (las Vegas) and Shark, you get hammered by "old folks" commercials for osteoperosis, prostate problems, dementia / azlheimer's, etc. Every other commercial is asking you to ask your doctor about sleeping pills, blood clot reducing pills, heart attack pills, cholesterol medicine, etc. EVERY commercial break. The ones that aren't hammering you with miniature fantasies of a better life with drugs are trying to sell you a car.

During Numb3rs, they hit you with Home Depot, home repair, pharmaecueticals AND cel phones...

I can only conclude that they're targeting ads based on the perceived viewer base of each show; old people watch the original CSI and people who need drugs and a new roof watch Numb3rs.

Sheesh.

I don't remember this many pro-drug commercials in the 90s. The first ad campaign I really remember was the "Purple Pill" ad campaign that plastered San Francisco subway stations with ads for a perfect life by taking the purple pill...

It's bad. Bad. Very bad.
Quote:I can only conclude that they're targeting ads based on the perceived viewer base of each show; old people watch the original CSI and people who need drugs and a new roof watch Numb3rs.

I've seen a few ads targeted to children/teens that ended with "have your parents ask your doctor if drug x is right for you...".  I don't think drug advertising aimed at minors should be allowed.
Quote:I can only conclude that they're targeting ads based on the perceived viewer base of each show; old people watch the original CSI and people who need drugs and a new roof watch Numb3rs.

I watch Numbers and CSI, so I guess I am old, need drugs, and a new roof?
:blinkie:

Laughing7

The drug commercials are also so annoying when they say in that oh so soothing voice what the side effects are, as if they are no big deal. Sheesh.
No wonder we have a drug problem in this country.
Tongue2
[quote author=chiquita link=topic=7079.msg42141#msg42141 date=1170452394]

I watch Numbers and CSI, so I guess I am old, need drugs, and a new roof?
[/quote]

Apparently, both of us do--or so the "programmers" say.

Quote:The drug commercials are also so annoying when they say in that oh so soothing voice what the side effects are, as if they are no big deal. Sheesh.
No wonder we have a drug problem in this country.

I've nearly died laughing over that. Side affects may include: stroke, heart attack, colon cancer, bleeding eyeballs, stiff neck, paralyzed legs, or whatever.

My favorite is the ad for the anti-depressant (with the guy & his dog, the bearded family man, and the woman who gets a new haircut). Side effects may include: depression. WTF?

And as regic pointed out, the worst are the kid-targeted ads. Gone are the days when kids begged their moms for new toys, candy, or clothing. Now they beg for anti-depressants.
Quote:And as regic pointed out, the worst are the kid-targeted ads. Gone are the days when kids begged their moms for new toys, candy, or clothing. Now they beg for anti-depressants.

More than likely it is the parent's who beg for the medications, that way they don't have change, just "fix" the kid. Then Johnny takes his Ritalin to school and sells it out of his locker for 5 bucks a pop.
This report provides country specific information on pharmaceutical advertising rules:

Pharmaceutical Advertising 2006
http://www.iclg.co.uk/index.php?area=4&kh_publications_id=38
Pages: 1 2