TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: 308 times . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Someone has attempted to access my main eBay selling ID account 308 times since Tuesday.  A pretty cool feat since I've had two 24 hour periods since then with the security screen in place so there were no recorded attempts during that time.    The most recent were this morning, triggering my thrid security screen in as many days.

Trust and Safety, for the most part, has been relatively unconcerned.  Actually several folks on their live help have been downright rude, but that's another story.  I've been told, repeatedly, that it's not a T&S issue until someone actually succeeds in hacking into my account.

I did get to talk to a real live person in T&S over the phone.  While he wouldn't give me the IP address, he did confirm that the attempts were all coming from the same place in Georgia.

Where MarketWorks is located.

A woman I spoke with at regular Live Help yesterday told me that she believed it was MW trying to access my account.

I had a trial with them this summer.  I closed the account over a month ago.  I contacted MW yesterday.  They *swear* to me they have now removed my eBay ID from their records . . . but there were further attempts this morning. 

I can not, of course, call anyone at MW because they apparently don't have real live people answering the phone.
I suspect it is still them. 
I have left voice mail messages but no one has returned them.  (All of my contact FROM them yesterday was via email.  I'm sure I sounded pretty rabid in my voice mail messages.  I think they're scared. ;0) 

Anyway, I have contacted them again today - no response. 

I am open to any and all suggestions.

I don't know you guys - I got this address from the good folks on the Stores board :-) - but I would still appreciate any advice you could throw my way. Smile

Beth

I was just discussing with OPP how there is a notable absence of pinks over there this past week or so.  Wouldn't it be nice to get someone, ANYONE, who wears pink to give an honest and upfront answer??? Munky2
Someone PLEASE help her.  I told her you were SMART over here!!  Don't make me look like a liar.  Wink
Quote:I've been told, repeatedly, that it's not a T&S issue until someone actually succeeds in hacking into my account.

Tell T&S that would make a good (unflattering to eBay) quote in a news story  :twistedevil:

I don't think its MarketWorks because once you receive your authorization token they no longer use your password when exchanging data with the eBay site.  We've (involuntarily) had to change our eBay password 9 times in the past year, but the change in ebay password doesn't affect the token (there is no need to get a new token after changing eBay passwords).

Just to be sure its not Marketworks call them up again (i.e. leave a message and they'll call you back) and ask them to check that the token authorization has been removed from their side of your old account.  Also check the 3rd party authorizations in your eBay account and delete any you aren't using.

If it isn't MW trying to access your account, then eBay would have to block the person's IP...provided that is he is using a static IP (like cable, DSL) because that is about the only way to stop people who are trying to gain access with a random password program (we get about 20 of them per day on this server using bots that send 1000s of password combinations in a matter of minutes  >Sad )
I was told (by several of the 20 odd folks I've had contact with at eBay over the last three days) that it would trigger the failed sign in response if an entity tried to access my account after I revoked their third party authorization.  Because the sign on would fail and it is triggered by failures, for whatever reason they occur.    I no longer have any third party authorizations in my eBay account. 

One kind person at eBay suggested I contact EVERY entity to whom I have given a 3d party authorization to in the last 6 years and ask them to STOP trying to access my account.  Which I would actually do if I had any clue who they all were.

Of course I wouldn't have to contact them all if eBay'd cough up the IP addresses they have.  (From what the guy at T&S said, it's not coming from a static address but rather from addresses that appeared to him to all be from the same source in Atlanta.)    I don't buy this privacy BS.  One would think that whomever has waived any right to privacy regarding MY account at some point during the 308 failed sign on attempts. 

No one at eBay has been willing to block the address(es).

It's iffy as to whether or not I had revoked the MW authorization before this all started.  They didn't show in my preferences, but an agent at Live Help said they were showing in her version of my account yesterday and she revoked it.

MarketWorks is NOT returning my calls.    I've left several messages since yesterday.

Some from MW just called me back.  He swears it's not them.
Quote:if eBay'd cough up the IP addresses they have

The IP is a privacy issue.  In order to stop the person you really need their IP addresses, so at this point eBay is the only one who can do anything--unless they are contacted by law enforcement/receive a subpoena to give up the IP info to you.  If it isn't a static IP, then it is probably dialup and the ISP will have to be the one to stop the hacker.

Have you tried calling the eBay Stores phone number?  You might be able to talk to a real person if you call that and scream loudly enough. (Edited to add: I've found that when dealing with eBay using the word 'lawyer' usually gets quick results  Smile )

I've talked to the folks at Stores several times.  I'e talked.  I even wound up crying this morning.  (And I HATE that.)  It was someone there who got me through to a real live person at T&S.

I've used the word lawyer.  I've used the letters FBI.  It hasn't seemed to help.

I am about to head into town to check in at our local FBI office.   

I am hoping that they will take 308 hacking attempts a little more seriously than eBay has.

Well . . . I am off to talk to the feds!  Wish me luck!
Good luck.  Its ridiculous you have to go through all this trouble just to force eBay to help.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13