TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Fingerprint payments taking off despite security concerns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Consumers embarking on a shopping spree may be able to leave their wallets behind in the near future, despite some security and privacy experts' concerns. This week, Pay By Touch Solutions, a San Francisco-based firm whose system allows customers to pay at participating grocery stores with the press of a finger, announced that investors have pledged $130m to fund the company's expansion plans

Paying by fingerprint is a hit with consumers, because people want convenience and faster check outs

full article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/08/..._payments/
Right now people steal other people's credit cards and use them....what's going to happen with fringerprinting payments - people cut other people's fingers off to get their fingerprint? (either by using the finger itself or slipping the skin off and placing it on their own finger - I've seen that once in a movie - blech!) 
Quote:what's going to happen with fringerprinting payments - people cut other people's fingers off to get their fingerprint? (either by using the finger itself or slipping the skin off and placing it on their own finger

That probably would happen. :blinkie:
A latex finger mask might work.

Once it is made, the fingerprint scan becomes just another digital file, which can be stolen, as credit cards are now. The whole credit card thing seems unstable to me --- A shop is required to keep card data, I think it is for 7 years. Most places do not secure it very well. A place in my town was burgled a few weeks ago and that is what they took.

Most people do not check their CC bill for unauthorized charges or for add-ons to charges they have made. Do you remember how much that restaurant bill was last month?

Put a major stress on the economy and I think the  :chitfan: