TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Study: Disk Drive Failures 15X More Frequent Than Manufacturers Advertise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Customers are replacing disk drives at rates far higher than those suggested by the estimated mean time to failure (MTTF) supplied by drive vendors, according to a study of about 100,000 drives conducted by Carnegie Mellon University.

The study, presented last month at the 5th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies in San Jose, also shows no evidence that Fibre Channel (FC) drives are any more reliable than less expensive but slower performing Serial ATA (SATA) drives.

That surprising comparison of FC and SATA reliability could speed the trend away from FC to SATA drives for applications such as near-line storage and backup, where storage capacity and cost are more important than sheer performance, analysts said...

full article: http://www.computerworld.com/action/arti...ticleBasic&articleId=9012066
Quote:Disk Drive Failures 15X More Frequent Than Manufacturers Advertise

No boinking wombat poo poo they fail more often than advertised.  Angryfire    We had a 2-month-old drive fail late last night on one of our servers.  Angryfire 

Ask me if I went to bed last night.  BangHead

Quote:no evidence that Fibre Channel (FC) drives are any more reliable than less expensive but slower performing Serial ATA (SATA) drives

The loser drive was a SATA.  Thebirdman
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=8186.msg46967#msg46967 date=1173967347]
Quote:Disk Drive Failures 15X More Frequent Than Manufacturers Advertise

No boinking wombat poo poo they fail more often than advertised.  Angryfire    We had a 2-month-old drive fail late last night on one of our servers.  Angryfire 

Ask me if I went to bed last night.  BangHead

Quote:no evidence that Fibre Channel (FC) drives are any more reliable than less expensive but slower performing Serial ATA (SATA) drives

The loser drive was a SATA.  Thebirdman
[/quote]

Um, are you mad, bbh? Angel1

Laughing7
Smileyviolin