TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Tall Lanky Blond Meg Whitman: Phishers Could Destroy Customers' Trust in eBay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:eBay chief Meg Whitman said on Thursday that phishers pose one of the biggest threats to the customer trust that has sustained the auction giant.

Speaking at the Visa Security Summit here, Whitman said her company has been developing fraud models aimed at detecting unauthorized account access and hires experts around the globe to help law enforcement find criminals. But she said additional safeguards and educational campaigns are necessary to prevent consumers from falling prey to phony requests for their sensitive information--or simply getting annoyed and canceling their eBay accounts.

"We...need to plug the holes in the system and make it next to impossible for fraudsters to reach our users," she said. "We need to make this so hard for the bad guys that ultimately they determine it's not worth their time to reach our customers anymore." ...

full article: http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/security/0...180,00.htm

Quote:Phishing has been a huge challenge for eBay and its PayPal subsidiary, and it's crucial that they identify as quickly as possible fraudulent sites duping customers into providing their payment information. eBay and PayPal find out about many of these fraudulent sites from users, who can report suspicious sites to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com. Once eBay and PayPal confirm a fraudulent site, they'll report that site to companies such as Mark Monitor that aggregate blacklisted sites and contact the site's ISP to have the site shut down.

While Whitman allowed that eBay isn't to blame for phishing scams, they've certainly become a big problem when as they've managed to erode trust in online transactions. The solution to phishing is, of course, to prevent customers from ever seeing an e-mail containing a phishing site. To help prevent Web users as a whole from being duped by phishing scams, eBay has worked with Microsoft to include anti-phishing features in the new Internet Explorer 7...

full article: http://www.informationweek.com/news/show...=197801334
Okay, I just have to get this out, damn it! Why do so many in the media use the adjectives "tall, lanky,blonde" to preface remarks/reports about Meg Whitman??

What the hell does being tall or lanky (is that a euphemism for being big-boned/chunky?) or blonde have to do with her job performance  for God's sake??

I'm tired of stupid blonde jokes too! Tongue2

Now I feel better. Big Grin
Blonde jokes have never bothered me. :twistedevil:
[quote author=amy link=topic=8382.msg46287#msg46287 date=1173485047]
Blonde jokes have never bothered me. :twistedevil:
[/quote]

Thefinger

Happy001
Quote:Why do so many in the media use the adjectives "tall, lanky,blonde" to preface remarks/reports about Meg Whitman??

Because it would be impolite to preface remarks with "ugly as sin". Happy001
[quote author=sneakymagenta link=topic=8382.msg46327#msg46327 date=1173556233]

Because it would be impolite to preface remarks with "ugly as sin". Happy001

[/quote]

:blinkie:

That didn't occur to me. Angel1

Happy001