TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Can outing an anonymous blogger be justified?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Can outing an anonymous blogger be justified?

Yes, is the answer, but that's getting ahead of ourselves.

The question springs from a tempest swirling around the St. Augustine (Fla.) Record and its efforts - including the use of its own on-property surveillance camera - to remove the veil of anonymity from a blogger who had been highly critical of a local politician.

The Record's editor, Peter Ellis, tells me that his paper was merely calling to account "a political group hiding behind the name of a fictitious person, which is what happened."

Ellis stands by that decision, as he should...

full article: http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/12330
Um, Mandy, the link seems to be missing. Big Grin
No it isn't! Common051
[quote author=mandy link=topic=8477.msg46494#msg46494 date=1173713095]
No it isn't! Common051
[/quote]

Laughing7

Ty, Mandy! Big Grin

Quote:Can outing an anonymous blogger be justified?

Yes, is the answer, but that's getting ahead of ourselves.

This is total BS!!

Quote:
Quote:"A Florida newspaper appears to have hit an all-time low in the relationship between bloggers and the media," writes Rogers Cadenhead, who maintains a blog called Workbench and has authored two books about Java. ... "I don't know (the blogger), but he has the right to speak his mind on the Web without intimidation by politicians and the press, whether or not he's writing under his real name. I've been reading the Record for a decade. I can't recall a single time where it conducted an effort to catch a rapist, robber or murderer anywhere near the scope of this manhunt for a blogger.

Quote:I can't help noticing that Ellis is justifying his actions by claiming he was really exposing "a political group hiding behind the name of a fictitious person, which is what happened."

I agree with Cadenhead. This newspaper did not care for the blogger's commentary on a political figure in the area, decided to accuse him of being a PAC, and went after him with a vengeance.
If the blogger was indeed libeling the politico, the dumbasp had the choice of taking action on his own. How and why would a newspaper become involved in outing this blogger? The answer to that seems fairly transparent to me----they were supporters of this political figure and resented the commentary by the citizen blogger!

Lastly, this is so boinking typical of newspapers in Florida, it is pathetic. BOO!!