TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Selling *other stuff* on Amazon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, I've started listing my books directly on Amazon instead of through Alibris.  Sales are actually quite briks considering how few books I've been able to get listed.  (Apparently spreadsheets are not my friend.)

And, since I am looking for other *venues* . . . I thought I'd ask.  Anybody have much luck selling *other stuff* at Amazon?

We sell CDs on Marketplace and do very well year round (although there is a drop off in the Summer).

We also sell toy cars and postcards on Amazon Auctions.  Deadville for 10 months of the year with 1-2 sales monthly...but sales in November/December are usually  good on Auctions.  Last year we had 42 sales during Nov/Dec.

Auction venues for "other stuff" that actually have buyers: Overstock and Yahoo.
I've tried Overstock and Yahoo and never had much luck with actually selling stuff on either.   

My stuff - same stuff - sells better out of my eCrater store.

I figure I'll give the River a shot with other stuff since I am paying them anyway.  Glad to hear I am at least getting into it in the good season. Smile
Quote:I've tried Overstock and Yahoo and never had much luck with actually selling stuff on either.

On Yahoo you really have to build up a customer base and establish yourself before you begin to see regular sales--which can take 6 months or more.  Once you've established yourself its a good number two auction site.  We usually get 150-250 sales a year there (not good compared to eBay, but great compared to most smaller auction sites and places like BidVille).

Overstock-Some sellers (jewelry, watches, dvds) do great.  New sells better than collectibles/or used.  The sell through rates are low (even if you're in the Trusted Merchant program and your items show up in the main store search). Our sales on O have been beating both Yahoo and our eBay store (we don't run any auctions on eBay) since March, but they're still nowhere near what we used to do when we ran auctions on eBay.
OK, I didn't give Yahoo nearly that long.

Bad Beth.

I've really got nothing to lose by listing my stuff over there.  It's free and you can set it to relist multiple times so it requires little babysitting. 

I listed stuff at the O when I was with MarketWorks and it was free . . . but don't they actually want money to list stuff now? *gasp*  And what is this Trusted Merchant thing?

Trusted Merchant question . . .
OK, I am checking it out.  The O says I qualify to apply based on my stellar (zero sellthrough) history there. 
Whatever.  I am at the BuySafe part and it says that you have to have $1000 a month in on line sales.
Uh . . . they don't just mean at Overstock do they?  I have $0 a month in on line sales there.  It makes it easy to do the math. Smile

The BuySafe $1000 is your combined sales from all venues (including eBay).  When you apply to BuySafe they also run a credit check, ask your net worth, etc.

Quote:I listed stuff at the O when I was with MarketWorks and it was free

It still is until 10/31--they've extended the Marketworks promo twice.  The last time we paid listing fees on Overstock was mid January.  Once the promos run out we'll probably cut our listings there by 90% unless sell through rates improve.
HIJACK  Wink

I've always sold through Marketplace on Amazon.  I just signed up to be a ProMerchant through zShops.  In a nut shell, what is the difference?

1.  No 99 cent FVF
2.  A Store Front (If I can ever figure it out)
3.  I can add a listing that doesn't already exsist.  (However, the two I tried... I was told the items weren't allowed on the US site.)
4.  $19.99 monthly fee.  Smile

Yes, I have read and re-read... now I have a headache. 

What else?

Quote:What else?

5.  40,000 free monthly listings on either Auctions or zShops
6.  Unlimited free listings on Marketplace
Thanks BBH!  I wanted to be sure I was understanding.
Pages: 1 2