TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Does this sound fair?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hey boardies...

We have a customer that is returning a $119 product apparently because it did not fit with their "decor", or something along those lines.  Refund money, no problem, right?

Here's the deal:

We have 10% restocking charge for returns that are not due to our error.  This may sound gimmicky, but we need some way to help recoup CC processing fees... namely the "double whammy" of processing a return.  (Opinions on this policy welcome, too.)

Also, we have "free shipping" on all orders over $100, so the product was shipped priority at no charge.

I'd like to refund $99.90, which is item cost, less restocking fee, less our actual shipping charge.  Does this sound fair to you?

Please opine!

Quote:I'd like to refund $99.90, which is item cost, less restocking fee, less our actual shipping charge.  Does this sound fair to you?

You can't deduct shipping if you didn't charge a shipping fee.

Issue a refund this time for $107.10 ----and rewrite your returns policy or add a disclaimer to your free shipping offer for the next time.

[quote author=sneakymagenta link=topic=9177.msg49597#msg49597 date=1176665271]
Quote:I'd like to refund $99.90, which is item cost, less restocking fee, less our actual shipping charge.  Does this sound fair to you?

You can't deduct shipping if you didn't charge a shipping fee.

Issue a refund this time for $107.10 ----and rewrite your returns policy or add a disclaimer to your free shipping offer for the next time.

[/quote]

Ditto what sneaky said, with one exception. Rewrite your returns policy to explain the restocking fee rather than just stating it.Or, adjust your prices to enable you to lose the restocking fee (I never buy anything online or through the mail if there is a restocking fee).
Ditto on the shipping charge advice.

We used to have a restocking fee but no longer do.

Thanks all for the advice!

I'm not sure what to do about our restocking fee just yet.  I really hate the sound of it... I always have.  My only fear is that our two top categories, fabric and sewing patterns, tend to attract "try before buy" type customers.  When we have 12 yards of fabric left, and a customer buys 6 yards only to decide later that it "just isn't right", the fabric is already cut and two 6 yard pieces are harder to market than 12 full yards - if you get my 'jist.

Same thing goes for sewing patterns, but for different reasons.  There is a small segment of buyers who would buy a pattern, use or copy it, and return it.  Not a huge deal, but when dealing with an unused 1930's pattern that can sell for 40 dollars or more, the expenses can add up.

It all may sound nit-picky, and probably falls under the prophetic "one bad apple" verse.  One thing is certain, that I don't want to over burden our customers with excessive "terms".

I am re-thinking the whole deal regarding the RSF, and hope to come to some sort of consensus with the boss on the issue.

Thanks again for the opinions, it's most appreciated!

Cheers

[quote author=amy link=topic=9177.msg49604#msg49604 date=1176671459]
We used to have a restocking fee but no longer do.
[/quote]

I meant to say ours is 15%.  Icon_biggrin