TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: New Feature: Other Sellers’ Items Displayed on Closed Item Pages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Quote:***Other Sellers’ Items Displayed on Closed Item Pages*** 

October 13, 2005 | 03:26PM PST/PT

To increase the exposure of current listings and improve the finding experience for buyers, we will soon display similar active listings from other sellers on closed item pages. As they do today, buyers will first see other items from the seller who listed the original closed item in the “See More Great Items From This Seller” section. In addition, buyers will be shown a list of similar items from other sellers. This should be especially helpful for buyers who get to one of these closed item pages via a search engine.

Once launched, sellers who have not already opted out of having other sellers’ items displayed on Watch Reminder and Non-Winning Bidder emails will be defaulted into this program. This will ensure your items receive maximum exposure on other sellers’ closed item pages and that buyers who land on closed listings see relevant active listings.

Sellers will also have the ability to opt out of this program entirely, which means your closed item pages will not display similar items from other sellers, nor will your active listings appear on other sellers’ closed items. Sellers can also choose to only allow the display of other sellers’ items to any of the following types of buyers:

* Buyers who bid on, but didn’t win, the item.
    * Buyers who did not actually bid on the item.
    * Both of the above.

You will be able to control these settings from the “Promoting Similar Items on eBay Pages and Emails” section of your Preferences in My eBay.
I guess when you don't spend resources doing silly little things like stopping hackers and scammers, you can come up with all sorts of vibrant enhancements.  Smileykoolaid
It seems like eBay will receive the greatest benefit from this latest "enhancement" by showing buyers more eBay hosted products and increasing the chances that they'll stick around the site a few more minutes.  Any benefit sellers get from having their items appear on their competitor's closed item pages will be cancelled out by the 'other seller's items' that appear on their own closed item pages.
Quote:Once launched, sellers who have not already opted out of having other sellers’ items displayed on Watch Reminder and Non-Winning Bidder emails will be defaulted into this program.

I always opted out of that garbage to keep my buyers from being unduly spammed.  Obviously, that's not possible now.  I just sold a painting today, at full price instead of using the *Submit Best Offer*.  I wonder what that buyer saw after his/her purchase?

>Sad I'm not asking......  Smileypesasht
Quote:. In addition, buyers will be shown a list of similar items from other sellers. This should be especially helpful for buyers who get to one of these closed item pages via a search engine.

Why do I want this?  Protest
eBay boards thread on this--no one seems to want this new enhancement.  :blinkie:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?t...1000103430&tstart=0
I opted out  Tongue5
[quote author=sneakymagenta link=topic=807.msg3148#msg3148 date=1129430047]
I opted out  Tongue5
[/quote]

Ditto.  Smile

I only list on eBay to "steal" eBay customers to advertise my web sites for marketing purposes, and I really have no interest in helping eBay retain its customers because most of my business is done elsewhere and I'd like eBay's customers to follow me to that "elsewhere"  :twistedevil:
[quote author=stardust link=topic=807.msg3050#msg3050 date=1129265881]
Quote:Once launched, sellers who have not already opted out of having other sellers’ items displayed on Watch Reminder and Non-Winning Bidder emails will be defaulted into this program.

I always opted out of that garbage to keep my buyers from being unduly spammed.  Obviously, that's not possible now.  I just sold a painting today, at full price instead of using the *Submit Best Offer*.  I wonder what that buyer saw after his/her purchase?
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I opted out of it initially, but just to be safe--how can one check to see if they have opted out of displaying other sellers' items?
thentavius Wrote:I'm pretty sure I opted out of it initially, but just to be safe--how can one check to see if they have opted out of displaying other sellers' items?

Go to 'selling preferences' in myeBay and make sure the boxes are unchecked in  'Promoting Similar Items on eBay Pages and Emails / Promote your items in emails and on item pages' ...and look at your closed item pages to make sure other sellers' items aren't showing up.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5