TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Changing Servers...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

..... SUCKS!

Angry9

Have a nice day.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{FG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Just think about how much better you'll feel when it's over![Image: there.gif] Laughing7

How to move a huge site in 3 steps and have it running on a new server in 5 minutes:

old server:
Code:
tar cvzf backup.tar.gz oldsitedirectory

new server (or use FTP/SFTP instead for more security]
Code:
wget http://www.oldsite.com/backup.tar.gz

new server:
Code:
tar xzf backup.tgz

[if you have databases add an extra 5-10 minutes to create and import databases]

EDIT: if you don't have command line access on your servers you're screwed and can expect to spend hours/days/an eternity suffering and pulling your hair out while you transfer files, set permissions,etc .  Hope this helps. :twistedevil:

1)  Had UNIX shell access, but the database was setup in a cluster which I had no access to.  I had the admin do a sql dump, but it never performed cleanly, and always had corrupted or incomplete tables.

2)  Old host was also my ISP, which they did NOT update their name servers until I inquired about it.  I was doing work on what I thought was my new site, but was actually working on the old one.

3)  SSL cert did not "follow" to the new servers (by design, but I failed to update the new servers)

4)  Still working out bugs on the new site... customers can't place an order yet, but they can browse.

The good news is that the new server is lightening fast... I've checked it at all hours and I'm amazed at the speed difference.  Considering how bad x-cart is with the overly-complex sql calls (cpu intensive), I'm quite pleased.

Hopefully just one hurdle to go...

Cheers 

Quote:I'm quite pleased.

Then quit your whining! Laughing7
Quote:Considering how bad x-cart is with the overly-complex sql calls (cpu intensive),

It's worse than ZenCart which also suffers from the same problem.
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=9753.msg51058#msg51058 date=1177691550]
Quote:Considering how bad x-cart is with the overly-complex sql calls (cpu intensive),

It's worse than ZenCart which also suffers from the same problem.
[/quote]

Yah, buddy!  It's something they don't tell you before buying, pretty much implying that you can host your site on any php/mysql enabled server.  Not true... at least if you want sales!

Our old host had acceptable speed, but during the checkout process, the lag was very long... sometimes a minute or two (yes, TWO!) from when you clicked on "submit order" to the confirmation dialogue.  During certain times of day, the site was slow overall, also.  (I later checked the user accounts while "browsing" in the UNIX shell and saw over 200 other web sites on the server... duh!)

Our new host specializes in x-cart hosting and is as fast as I could ever hope for.  Browsing the dynamic side of the site is nearly as fast as the static pages... can't ask for more than that!

BTW - last hurdle "leaped"... finally able to take orders as of yesterday.  Smile

Cheers