TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: 17 Rules for Successful E-Commerce Websites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:#1 - Tell Me Where I Am
Whenever a user is navigating inside a store with more than 1 sub-level of navigation, it's critical to show them where in the site structure they are. This should be accomplished with headlines, sub-headers (when necessary) and breadcrumbs (i.e. Home > Category > Sub-cat > Product).

#2 - Let Me Remove Narrowing Options
When a user starts to "narrow" their navigation inside a particular category (in this case by selecting the designer "Ted Baker"), it's only right to allow them to remove those navigation selections rather than forcing the use of repetitive "back button" clicks.

#3 - Allow Me to Sort Every Which Way
The standards are "Price - low to high," "Price - high to low," "Popularity," aka "Best Selling," "Featured," "User Rating" (or "Editor Rating" if you don't have users rate products), and "New" or "Latest." You can elminate "Featured" if you've got nothing to push, but all the other sorting options must exist (assuming it's possible to do so)...

full article: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/17-new-rules-...e-websites