TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Western Union money transfer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

OK, we've never accepted a money transfer, but we have a customer that is requesting it.

First - what info do we need to provide to the customer to do this?  I assume a routing number and account number is all they need.

Second - are there any pitfalls for the seller?

I really should know this, but we've never, ever had it requested of us.

Thanks!

Smile
[quote author=FiberGuy link=topic=10704.msg53251#msg53251 date=1179242153]

OK, we've never accepted a money transfer, but we have a customer that is requesting it.

First - what info do we need to provide to the customer to do this?  I assume a routing number and account number is all they need.
[/quote]

All you need to give them is your name and address.  You should ask them to give you the Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN) when they send it.

We had a few international customers request it on eBay and didn't have any problems.  Italy (A $1500 painting), Indonesia ( a regular customer who always ordered $100-$300 worth of items)
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=10704.msg53252#msg53252 date=1179243452]

All you need to give them is your name and address.  You should ask them to give you the Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN) when they send it.

We had a few international customers request it on eBay and didn't have any problems.  Italy (A $1500 painting), Indonesia ( a regular customer who always ordered $100-$300 worth of items)
[/quote]

OK, now I'm confused!  Name and address is all?  Icon_scratch

I take it this is not applied as an ACH credit automatically and we'll have to retrieve the funds from Western Union?

Pardon my ignorance!

Quote:I take it this is not applied as an ACH credit automatically and we'll have to retrieve the funds from Western Union?

They have 2 services: 
A. Money is available instantly with Money in Minutes/Quick Collect but must be picked up at a WA agent. 
B.Money is sent directly to a bank account with the Economy service but takes 3 business days

Thanks BBH and Amy!

Occasion14
I would NEVER give a customer my bank account info. That's the mark of a scammer, and you risk being taken to the cleaners.
Do the name and address version ONLY.
Just my $.02
[quote author=I want 1 2 link=topic=10704.msg53351#msg53351 date=1179276714]
I would NEVER give a customer my bank account info. That's the mark of a scammer, and you risk being taken to the cleaners.
Do the name and address version ONLY.
Just my $.02
[/quote]

Perhaps...

But the same info is on every check I write...

Cheers

Quote:Do the name and address version ONLY.

We always did it that way.

Quote:But the same info is on every check I write...

I don't like giving my bank info to sellers but the rest of the world (outside the US) doesn't seem to mind.  Bank transfers are the preferred payment method in several countries, including most of Europe.