TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Ten Firefox Extensions to Avoid: FasterFox, GreaseMonkey, NoScript, and more
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The list of add-onsto avoid: 1. FasterFox, 2. NoScript, 3. AdBlock and AdBlock Plus, 4. PDF Download, 5. VideoDownloader, 6. GreaseMonkey, 7. ScribeFire, 8. TrackMeNot, 9. TabBrowser Preferences, 10. TabBrowser Extensions

Quote: Just because an extension is popular doesn't mean it belongs in your Web browser.
Full article: http://www.computerworld.com/action/arti...ticleBasic&articleId=9015599

4. PDF Download
Quote:The extension can run into trouble when it tries to handle certain PDFs. Some Web sites send you to a "silent interstitial" page for tracking purposes or some other reason, then redirect you to the PDF. In these cases, the extension won't work. Usually when this happens, PDF Download just gets bypassed, but we've had Firefox freeze up when dealing with redirected PDFs, too. For the little benefit that PDF Download provides, the problems it can cause just aren't worth it.

This extension will cause FF to crash in the blink of an eye.  Tard On the other hand, FF does not handle pdf downloads well on it's own, either. And that  is what caused me to install another extension, which works exceedingly well, "down them all". You can get it at the link below. I've been running this extn for approx 6-7 months with no problems.

Down Them All

Quote:We don't mean to downplay privacy concerns, but the technique used in TrackMeNot is questionable. The extension runs in the background while you surf, and sends random search queries to AOL, Yahoo, Google and MSN search engines. What a waste of system resources for both you and the search engines you rely on!

I installed this one, only because it annoys me that the SE's track your every move. Am giving some thought to removing it. Anyone else with feedback on this extension??

Quote:Adblock and Adblock Plus

Obviously, we have some bias when it comes to ad-blocking extensions, as Computerworld is an ad-supported site. We also understand that these are very popular extensions. But if everyone blocked ads, how would sites such as ours continue to offer content free of charge?

We'll be the first to admit that there are some horribly annoying ads out there. (Buzzing bee, anyone?) But we prefer using Nuke Anything Enhanced to zap the annoying ads while continuing to support the sites we love by allowing most ads to appear.

Clearly, ComputerWorld dislikes this extension because it's users don't see all the annoying ads when visiting their site.  :Smile  I use it, it works well, and I have no plans to discontinue use. :imptongue: