TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Firefox: 20 tweaks for speeding up page loads, reducing memory drain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote: Ever since its debut, Firefox has garnered a reputation for being an enormously customizable program, both through its add-on architecture and its internal settings. In fact, many of Firefox's settings aren't exposed through the Tools > Options menu; the only way to change them is to edit them manually. In this article, we'll explore some of the most useful Firefox settings that you can change on your own, and that aren't normally available through the program's graphical interface.

The closest analogy to how Firefox manages its internal settings is the Windows Registry. Each setting, or preference, is given a name and stored as a string (text), integer (number) or Boolean (true/false) value. However, Firefox doesn't keep its settings in the registry, but in a file called prefs.js. You can edit prefs.js directly, but it's often easier to change the settings through the browser window.

Type about:config in the address bar and press Enter, and you'll see all the settings currently enumerated in prefs.js, listed in alphabetical order. To narrow down the hundreds of configuration preferences to just the few you need, type a search term into the Filter: bar...

full article: http://www.computerworld.com/action/arti...ticleBasic&articleId=9020880
I am back using Netscape.

Got talked into "upgrading" to FF2. Not only does it lack the cool little pagerank box, (there is no update for that), but every time I open the browser, about one or two minutes in, my hard drive starts clicking away and data goes out - 30 seconds or a minute's worth, a whole lot more than just a list of the URLs I've visited since last time. Spybot sees nothing wrong, and it does not happen with NS or IE.

I do not know what the d@nm thing is sending, so it is shut down. I wish I could have my old firefox back.