TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Internet Access In Italian Internet Cafes Now Requires A Passport
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2 articles on law recently passed in Italy

Quote:Internet Access In Italy Now Requires A Passport

If you are thinking about visiting Italy in the near future, and you plan on using Italian Internet cafés while on the go, there is something you should definitely be informed about.

To access any Internet-connected computer inside a public service shop you now need to submit your passport and accept the idea that all that you will look at, play with or send out is being tracked

The new law states that those in charge of managing and providing public communications services, need to make photocopies of the passport of every customer coming to use them, be they Internet, phone or fax ones.

full article: http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2005/...ly_now.htm

Quote:Want to check your e-mail in Italy? Bring your passport.
An antiterror law makes Internet cafe managers check their clients' IDs and track the websites they visit.

Like other owners of Internet cafes, Savoni had to obtain a new public communications business license, and purchase tracking software that costs up to $1,600.

The software saves a list of all sites visited by clients, and Internet cafe operators must periodically turn this list into their local police headquarters.

full article: http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1004/p07s01-woeu.html
That could explain why Internet use dropped in Italy between October and November:
http://www.clickz.com/stats/sectors/geog...hp/3574036
Quote:An antiterror law makes Internet cafe managers check their clients' IDs and track the websites they visit.

If you aren't doing anything illegal then no worries.  They say if you don't want something seen, don't enter in any way on the internet - email, chat, guestbooks, etc because nothing is truly private.

I rarely ever use a public computer but have been to the local library a couple of times to use their computer to access the internet when my home computer was down and to use their computer you have to enter your library card number so if they really want to snoop they can see where I've been, what I've been doing but since I make sure I watch where I visit and what I do on a public computer I'm not concerned.  Now, if I was on that computer at the library querying how to build a bomb or something then yes, I would a tad worried but there is the possiblity of it being tracked since I didn't build the computer to know what software is in it and many local government and other organizations have tracking software in their computers already spying on their employees, so why not the public computers.
Quote:many local government and other organizations have tracking software in their computers already spying on their employees, so why not the public computers.

Many corporations track their employees WWW and email use.  Using the public library and reading books can be dangerous in this country since the Patriot Act was enacted.
[quote author=jezebel link=topic=859.msg7242#msg7242 date=1136689457]
Quote:many local government and other organizations have tracking software in their computers already spying on their employees, so why not the public computers.

Many corporations track their employees WWW and email use.  Using the public library and reading books can be dangerous in this country since the Patriot Act was enacted.
[/quote]
Don't forget it is mandatory that the cell companies track your location for your "safety."