TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Ten Things You Need to Know about Digital Cameras
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Digital Cameras: The Top 10 Things You Need to Know

1) Resolution is less important than you think

There is a popular misconception that more megapixels lead to better pictures. This is not the case.

Sure, higher resolution gives you the ability to crop more aggressively or print large pictures, but only a fraction of digital photographers will benefit from this ability. If you're a casual shooter who won't be printing pictures larger than 8x10" or doing extensive computer editing, then a camera with 3- or 4-megapixel resolution will be sufficient.

More advanced photographers will likely appreciate the flexibility of higher resolution, but a 5+ megapixel camera is by no means necessary to create stunning pictures. Choose a camera you can understand and afford, and don't be fooled by glitzy high-resolution specs...

full article and list: http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-...undup.html
Decent article for the digital camera user.

Quote:1) Resolution is less important than you think

Absolutely - I've been using the same 4.0 MP Digital SLR (Olympus E-10) for several years... I can't remember when I used the highest setting, with the exception of a few weather shots that I wanted to print.

Quote:2) Zoom is more important than you think

Ditto - don't get suckered into that "digital zoom"... 'tain't the same thing...

Quote:3) Travelers should use cameras with AA Batteries

My E-10 uses four AA's - I use rechargable NiMH.  No complaints, other than the NiMH batteries don't keep a charge in storage very well.

Quote:5) Canon makes great cameras

Won't argue there, either.  My better half has been using her PowerShot SD600 since last August... great solid camera. 

Quote:7) Digital cameras can and will break

Duh.

Quote:9) Find & use a simple photo editing program

Been using Cerious Software's ThumbsPlus since 1995.  Great program - cheap too.

--------------------------

Adding my own:

If you're using the camera for e-commerce:

A good white balance adjustment is essential, preferrably a manual setting, but presets are OK... better than nothing.  For manual setting, I use a minimum of 96 brightness printer paper.

Manual focus is your friend, especially for macro and low-contrast subjects.

Turn the bloody flash off and invest in some decent lighting.

Don't buy your camera at Wal Mart, that is unless you're out of town, need a camera fast, and plan to use it and just take it back.  Toothy9

Quote:7) Digital cameras can and will break

And traditional cameras don't? Sheesh.........I've broken at least 4-5 camers just by dropping them. :Smile

Quote:Don't buy your camera at Wal Mart, that is unless you're out of town, need a camera fast, and plan to use it and just take it back.

Happy001