TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay Sellers Turned Wal-Mart Resellers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:A few weeks ago, I went looking online for a table to put in my home office to give me some additional workspace.  One click led to another, and eventually I found this craft table at Target.  But the shipping charges seemed awfully steep, so I decided to google and see if I could find it for less.  I soon found it for quite a bit less on eBay, so placed the order.  When it arrived a few days later, I was somewhat taken aback to find that it had been shipped directly from Walmart.

Lots of eBay sellers use drop shippers (which means that they never touch the product), but this was my first experience buying from someone re-listing something from a mainstream retailer.  For a few minutes of her time, and the cost of the eBay listing, the seller had leveraged the difference between what Walmart charged and what I was willing to pay for a quick $20 or so profit.  She's received slightly over 1200 feedbacks in the past year; if my transaction was typical, that means she's made at least $24,000.  My guess is it's more, since many buyers don't bother with feedback...

full article: http://www.halfchangedworld.com/2007/06/on-value.html
Quote: I was somewhat taken aback to find that it had been shipped directly from Walmart.

Why does it matter???
[quote author=sneakymagenta link=topic=12320.msg58170#msg58170 date=1182880362]
Quote: I was somewhat taken aback to find that it had been shipped directly from Walmart.

Why does it matter???

[/quote]

:ditto:
[quote author=sneakymagenta link=topic=12320.msg58170#msg58170 date=1182880362]

Why does it matter???

[/quote]

It only matters because people don't like finding out that someone else is smarter than they are !
Happy001  Happy001  Happy001
If I were a buyer, and I purchased an item, only to find that I could have ordered it myself at a lower cost from the online retailer who actually shipped it to me...............well, that would make me feel as though I had been scammed. It would also make me angry. As far as I'm concerned, this is not a  legitimate way to do business.
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=12320.msg58215#msg58215 date=1182949272]
If I were a buyer, and I purchased an item, only to find that I could have ordered it myself at a lower cost from the online retailer who actually shipped it to me...............well, that would make me feel as though I had been scammed. It would also make me angry. As far as I'm concerned, this is not a  legitimate way to do business.
[/quote]

I do understand what you're saying, and I agree, I'd feel a bit put off as well. But, my guess Belle, is that you (like me) would do some comparison shopping prior to making a purchase. The problem with a lot of eBay buyers is two-fold, they tend to be very high maintenance and they have a bargain basement mentality. They think that if it's on eBay, it must be a good deal. This couldn't be further from the truth.

I can hardly blame the seller for the buyer's lack of research and/or unrealistic expectations. I noticed many of the seller's replies to neg/neut feedback was "You got EXACTLY what you paid for". And you know what? She's right! It isn't her responsibility to educate the buyers about comparison shopping or to remind them that eBay isn't always a bargain.

Like I said, I might feel scammed or put off, but quite frankly, I'd only have myself to blame for making assumptions and not doing my homework.
You make a good point, Eclectica. Smile

But, I must admit, it just doesn't seem right to me-------I wouldn't want to sell that way, I would feel like I was cheating people.

I don't do a lot of comparison shopping, unless it's for something like electronic or camera equipment,  but, I don't buy on eBay really either. Tard  I do kind of know where I can expect to get the best prices on things though......... Tongue3
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=12320.msg58234#msg58234 date=1182967851]
You make a good point, Eclectica. Smile

But, I must admit, it just doesn't seem right to me-------I wouldn't want to sell that way, I would feel like I was cheating people.

I don't do a lot of comparison shopping, unless it's for something like electronic or camera equipment,  but, I don't buy on eBay really either. Tard  I do kind of know where I can expect to get the best prices on things though......... Tongue3
[/quote]

Yeah, I wouldn't want to sell that way either. But hey, to each his own and more power to that seller for tapping into an idea that's apparently working her.

As much as I sell on eBay, I rarely buy there either  Toothy9
Quote:Yeah, I wouldn't want to sell that way either. But hey, to each his own and more power to that seller for tapping into an idea that's apparently working her.

But, but, it's more fun to complain!! Laughing7