TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: UK Man Threatens To Sue Google For Libel For Linking To Websites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Google links to more than 11.5bn web pages - and it's responsible for the content posted to every single one them. At least, Brian Retkin thinks so.

The 48-year-old Londoner has filed a defamation action against the American search giant, claiming that Google refuses to remove links to sites that libel his company, dotWORLDS...

Libel laws are tighter in the UK than in the U.S., and Retkin is confident that, even though Google isn't hosting the offending content, the company can be held responsible. "Google purports not to be a publisher, but there's a very fine line there," he says. "Google is presenting these third-party sites to the world. The sites they're linking to are completely obscure. You wouldn't find them if Google didn't link to them."...

full article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/02/...bel_claim/
Hmmm.........I wonder how long it would take me to become a British citizen?  Laughing7

I hope like hell he wins. Smile
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=12724.msg59165#msg59165 date=1183478270]

[/quote]

Umm, I don't.  :blinkie: (three reasons why I don't want search engines to be held liable for links: reason 1 , reason 2, reason 3 )
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=12724.msg59185#msg59185 date=1183478960]
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=12724.msg59165#msg59165 date=1183478270]

[/quote]

Umm, I don't.  :blinkie: (three reasons why I don't want search engines to be held liable for links: reason 1 , reason 2, reason 3 )
[/quote]

Oh, yeah. Laughing7