TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Massachusetts Makes Health Insurance Mandatory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote: Massachusetts is the first state to require its residents to secure health insurance, a plan designed to get as close as practically possible to statewide universal health care. Presidential hopeful and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney originally introduced the idea in 2004.

Effective July 1, 2007, the law, which uses federal and state tax dollars, is aimed at making health insurance affordable to all residents of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, including low-income populations. Those who fall below the federal poverty line may be eligible for health care at no cost. A Health Disparities Council has been created to monitor and reduce racial and ethnic health disparities.

The law's "Individual Mandate" provision underscores the state's requirement that each resident make it his or her personal responsibility to secure health care. Those who choose not to abide by the law will be subject to penalty. State income tax forms in 2008 will be used to verify insurance coverage...

full article: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story...d=11689698
This is probably a good thing, but I can't help but feel concerned at the additional loss of individual rights.
And, the fact that it requires all businesses, even very small businesses, to offer health care coverage to  their employees could have a chilling effect on small business, as they frequently can't afford to offer health care coverage.

it will be interesting to see what happens.
Being from MA this thread caught my eye.

If I hear any stories of how it is going I will share. I spent 8 years working for a major health care insurance company here in MA, prior to going to my harder job of SAHM.

I believe the law requires all companies with more than 10 employees to offer insurance to their employees. Everyone else is to purchase it themselves. I haven't run across any information on how they will be making it more affordable yet.

I do know if you do not get health insurance, if you are entitled to a tax refund, you will not be getting it. That is one of the ways they will be "taking money" from people.

It will be interesting to see how Romney's plan spans out. He certainly will not be getting my vote.  Happy001
Hey karma  Wave  The thread caught my eye for  a similiar reason; my brother has lived in Boston for 20+ years (although he is moving to NYC in the Fall), and he is self-employed.  Smile

Quote:It will be interesting to see how Romney's plan spans out. He certainly will not be getting my vote.

Michigan had the dubious honor of electing Mitt's Father many years ago........ 8)

Do post back if you have info, please!  Thumbsup  I've long been a proponent of national health care, however, I am not too sure that this is a truly viable way to achieve it. :blinkie:
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=13238.msg59950#msg59950 date=1183669710]
Do post back if you have info, please!  Thumbsup  I've long been a proponent of national health care, however, I am not too sure that this is a truly viable way to achieve it. :blinkie:
[/quote]

I certainly will. I would love for national health care myself, even though I have good coverage from my insurance through hubbies job, but I also thought this "making people" method was a bit ridiculous.

I anxiously await some information of how it spans out. I am not normally a "political" person but Romney has always annoyed me anyways and healthcare was my thing.... Happy001

Hopefully your brother will not go broke before he moves to NY!