TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Google Page Rank (PR) and Backlinks (BL) Updates Underway Tonight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Google PR (Page Rank) and BL (Backlinks) updates underway.  Expect it to take a day or two for it to show up in everyone's google toolbar.  In the meantime you can check your site/pages across all of google's data centers using SEO Chat's future page rank tool http://www.seochat.com/seo-tools/future-pagerank/

Quote:Expect it to take a day or two

Probably two or more is likely  Smile

The updates are moving slowly : for this site, 3/18 data centers are now showing the www.tuliptools.com with a new PR 5 and the new community.tuliptools.com/index.php PR of 5 (old was 0) .  The other 15 data centers are still waiting to update.

EDITED TO ADD: all data centers appear to be reporting now

mandy Wrote:Probably two or more is likely 

Probably you were wrong.  Happy001 Happy001 Happy001 Happy001 Happy001 Happy001

===================

Now that the PR update is over  :twistedevil: , I guess its time for me to repeat what I say after every PR update:   I think the PR number is one of the most worthless, meaningless numbers around, and it receives far more attention than it deserves. Smile   

A higher PR doesn't necessarily mean you will receive more traffic from search engines...and the  traffic you receive from search engines is the only thing that really matters in the end. 

Let's see: one of our sites received under 1,000 page views last month and is now a PR 5.  Our largest site which received 3 million page views last month is still a PR 5...soooo what exactly is the importance of PR.  The busy site gets thousands of visitors from search engines every month while the deadzone site only gets a handful...and yet they're both PR 5? :Smile

I think people focus too much on the cute little phrases/abbreviations/jargon the SEO industry throws at them--half of which are meaningless in terms of actually getting visitors to your site.
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=898.msg3552#msg3552 date=1129871369]
I think the PR number is one of the most worthless, meaningless numbers around, and it receives far more attention than it deserves. Smile [/quote]

Yeah, but I was happy to see my zeros go to "2"'s. Gives a sense of progress, though I know Google will still ignore me. My sales site is a .net and it has not changed - I hope .nets are not done yet.........
Quote:half of which are meaningless in terms of actually getting visitors to your site.
Bargain - What are the three best (free or cheap) ways to get visitors to a new web site?

[quote author=accentnepal link=topic=898.msg3725#msg3725 date=1130208495]
[Bargain - What are the three best (free or cheap) ways to get visitors to a new web site?[/quote]

An ecommerce web site?  good question.  :twistedevil:

My main experience is with content sites not ecommerce or selling (I should say: content sites that lost huge amounts of money when the dot com crashed occurred...which is why I started selling in August 2001 and ended up on eBay  :Smile Laughing7 )...anyways, the best way to get traffic cheaply is to have good content...and it helps if you can get press coverage (online or offline) about your good content  Smile

For an ecommerce site you could get traffic by adding relevant content (either on the site or in a blog) to draw visitors from search engines, submitting articles, etc. Linking your 'travels in Tibet' site to your web store also could get you customers.  Its early, I'm babbling...

There's quite a few ideas in this article "Marketing on a shoestring" http://community.tuliptools.com/index.ph...976.0.html
Thanks.

Content I have got. It takes time, I guess. Saw on a SEO site that they were speculating that Google has raised the sandbox period from about 9 months to over 2 years  - in otherwords they (maybe) down rate any newer site. But then how did TulipTools get a 5 right off? But yeah PR is only one factor - you have to have the words they are searching for on the site, before PR even is an issue. Didja know there are three dictionary spellings of jewelery?  Read2
[quote author=accentnepal link=topic=898.msg3919#msg3919 date=1130539746]
It takes time, I guess. Saw on a SEO site that they were speculating that Google has raised the sandbox period from about 9 months to over 2 years  - in otherwords they (maybe) down rate any newer site. But then how did TulipTools get a 5 right off? . [/quote]

This isn't a new site.  Its been indexed by all of the search engines since about July 2000.  Of course until this summer the site consisted of a 1-page "coming soon: opening February 2001" page...yeah, we were a little late with the opening  Laughing7

We do have 2 newer sites that we registered about 7 months ago that received PR 4's in the later updates, but they're both linked to from a couple of our sites that have been around for 6-7 years.

Quote:Didja know there are three dictionary spellings of jewelery?   Read2

I didn't know there were 3. :-[  I knew there was a US and a UK spelling, but didn't know about the 3rd one.

I don't think that the Sandbox affects PR.  If you have optimized your site well and you know that when you search for a particular keyword your site should show up in page 1 in google but it doesn't, then you are in the sandbox.  Basically your website is no where to be found in search engine results.  But that doesn't mean that you website hasn't been indexed and doesn't have a PR.

PR is based on inbound and outbound links mainly it doesn't contribute in search results.
[quote author=diger7 link=topic=898.msg3936#msg3936 date=1130574015]
I don't think that the Sandbox affects PR.  If you have optimized your site well and you know that when you search for a particular keyword your site should show up in page 1 in google but it doesn't, then you are in the sandbox.  Basically your website is no where to be found in search engine results.  But that doesn't mean that you website hasn't been indexed and doesn't have a PR. PR is based on inbound and outbound links mainly it doesn't contribute in search results.
[/quote]
As I have heard it SERP - search Engine results placement -is done by calculating a number for each website for each search. The number is based on relevance of the site (optimization) to the particular key words searched TIMES the PR of the site - more "famous" sites therefore place higher.  I dont know if the sandbox downgrades the PR number or if it is applied later.

If you have the only site on the web for "Dancing Chickens from Bhutan"
                                    :bluebird:  :whitebird:  :bluebird:
then you will rank first for that term as soon as Google finds you.

Quote:Didja know there are three dictionary spellings of jewelery?  Read2

I didn't know there were 3. :-[  I knew there was a US and a UK spelling, but didn't know about the 3rd one.
jewelry
jewellery (UK)
jewelery is in unabridged dictionaries and gets a lot of hits.
and jewlery is a common misspelling that I am too :oops: to use much.