TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: BidVille Announcements and Intro of Anti-Fraud Programs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote:Valued Members,

It is no secret that Bidville has experienced significant ‘growing pains’ over the past year. Our technology has had difficulty keeping up with the influx of new members and increased activity levels. You might say that our marketing efforts have paid off too well.

Fortunately, over the last few weeks, we have successfully addressed most of the issues causing these problems. We have made many changes to the website and enabled many policy changes. Some members agree with them, and some don’t. Please realize we are doing our best to make Bidville more reliable and user friendly.

One issue that still needs to be discussed is the ‘missing auctions’ problem. In an effort to reconfigure our database, many items were removed from Bidville. To view the criteria we used when deciding which items to remove, please visit this link:

http://www.bidville.com/community/messag...ead=840517&forum=5

Many members believe that items were removed that did not meet these conditions. We have spent days looking into this possibility but can find no evidence that any extra items were removed. If they didn’t meet the conditions, they should still be available. If you still believe you are missing items, the best we can do is apologize. We have no explanation, and we certainly did not remove them on purpose. At this time, whatever auctions are available in your TrackPal are the ones we have on file for you. No more, no less. And, there is no way for us to provide any member with a list of auctions that were removed.

Now, the good news. Allow us to take this opportunity to inform the Community on what we have accomplished over the past few weeks and what will be completed soon. There are other projects on our ‘To Do List’ but these are considered the most critical.

1. Website Availability – over the past year, we have been plagued with “website timeout” and “website unavailable” errors. This has frustrated many member (and us). Fortunately, we have isolated many of the issues causing these. And, we have reconfigured and redesigned our database to better meet increasing demand. At the moment, the errors are virtually non-existent. Of course, we will need to monitor this situation closely and adapt as needed.

2. Billing and Invoicing System – ours is, admittedly, confusing. We are in the process of redesigning our billing system to be much more user friendly. It will have many options that are not available now, but important for sellers to have access to.

3. Checkout System – we believe it is paramount for our sellers to have a built-in Checkout system where buyers can instantly pay for Take It and Storefront items. Have no fear, the Bidville Express Checkout is on the way.

4. Seller Fraud – this is a problem with the internet in general. Bidvlle is very excited to say that we will soon be implementing innovative solutions to this problem. For details on what we have already done and on our new VIP Program, please visit this link:

http://www.bidville.com/help/vip_beta.asp

5. Buyer Fraud – another general internet problem. We are finding new and exciting solutions to this as well. For information on our upcoming SAFE Program and other ways to protect yourself from buyer fraud, please visit this link:

http://www.bidville.com/help/safe_beta.asp

6. Other Items – in addition, we are working on the following: Seller invoicing, Multiple feedback posting, Froogle, Post seller a question, and new Terms of Service, FAQ’s, Glossary and Prohibited Items pages.

Please bear with us through these times of change. We expect to have a few glitches along the way.

Thanks for continuing to grow with us.

Bidville Management
http://www.bidville.com/help/vip_beta.asp

Quote:Bidville has recently been developing innovative solutions to keep our community safe.  The VIP program is the first to be pre-released.  We are confident that this program, along with others that will be introduced soon, will make us pioneers of eCommerce safety.   

Welcome to your newer, safer Bidville.

VIP Questions

VIP Answers

What does VIP stand for?   
VIP stands for Verification of Identity by Phone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the purpose of the VIP Program?   
The VIP Program was designed to help verify that a member is actually who they say they are.  Unfortunately, it is very easy for online 'scammers' to falsify their identity.  This program is a simple but effective tool in helping to verify a person's identity.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
How does the program work? 

Participants in the VIP Program will receive a phone call from Bidville.  The call will be placed to the member's registered phone number and will occur within minutes of the member's request.  The member will be given a unique confirmation code. The member is then asked to return to the Bidville website and enter this code into the online VIP form.  Once complete, the member is now participating in the VIP Program.  This simple step tells our community that the member have been verified by phone.
How else does Bidville verify a member's identity?   

Bidville has always required that all sellers have a valid credit card on file with us.  The credit card must pass all validation processes through our processors, QuickCommerce and Authorize.net.  This step checks the existence and validity of the credit card number entered.  It also uses a universal system know as AVS (Click Here for details) to check the billing address of the credit card.  If the billing address does not match the credit card, a member will be rejected as a seller.

This system is just one tool in the fight against online fraud.  Unfortunately, most fraudsters can fool the AVS system by simply knowing the correct billing address of the unauthorized credit card they are using.
What about verifying a member's home address? Is this possible? 

The best way to verify a member's physical address is by requiring proof of a utility bill, credit card bill or driver's license.  This is usually accomplished by having someone fax a document with the correct information to your business.  This method is not very practical, takes a long time to complete and requires alot 'manpower' to accomplish.  It is also not very safe to transmit these documents via fax as identity theft can easily occur this way.  That's why very few online businesses use this technique.

As of 10/15/05, Bidville implemented an innovative solution.  We are using a database of known and valid USA and Canada home addresses and phone numbers.  This is a publicly available database.  It helps verify that the address entered in our registration or credit card form actually exists, and is real.  If not, the member is prompted to re-enter valid information and is prevented from registering until doing so.  While this system is also not perfect, it is another step in our crusade to keep our communtity safe.
What does beta testing mean?   

The VIP Program is currently in beta testing.  This means that we are testing this new product by letting members try it before it is officially launched.  By doing this, we can solicit participants' feedback about the program and be sure to correct any glitches or 'bugs' we may encounter in the early stages.
Who can participate in beta testing?   

Beta testing of the VIP Program is open to all registered members from the USA and Canada with an active Seller Account.

International sellers will not be able to participate at this time.  We hope to add this in this ability in the near future.  However, International sellers are all pre-screened by Bidville Customer Service staff members before activating their Seller Account.
Why do you need to be a seller to participate?   

All registered sellers currently have a valid credit card on file with Bidville that has passed the AVS system mentioned above.  We want to limit use of this program to our dedicated sellers.
Will bidders be able to participate?  I'm more interested in fraudulent bidders.   

During beta testing, bidders will not be able to participate unless they also have a Seller Account.  We are very aware that fraudulent bidders plague the internet and we plan to open the VIP program to bidders very soon.  In addition we will soon be releasing information on another innovative program Bidville is pioneering - the SAFE (Sellers Against Fraudulent E-Commerce) Program. 

The SAFE Program will allow sellers to set their own security level on their auctions.  Combine this with the soon to be released "Checkout" system and a Bidder VIP Program, and sellers will soon be rid of fraudulent bidders.  Only here at Bidville.  Click Here for more information on the SAFE Program.
Why should I participate? 

Participation for all USA and Canada sellers is highly recommended.  We believe that participation in this program will increase your sales.  Buyers will feel more confident that you are a serious seller.  Even if you have excellent feedback from prior transactions, this is one more simple step to show that you are a responsible seller.
Who is going to call me?   

Your phone call will come from Bidville's Automated Registration Telephone (BART).  BART is computer generated and will speak to you in clearly spoken English.  He will introduce himself and prompt you to get a pen and paper to write down your VIP password.  He will also repeat your password for you in case you didn't hear it.  (BART is pretty cool!)
How long does it take?   

The entire process can be completed in just a few minutes.
Is there a fee for this service?   

The VIP program is provided for free.
Is my personal information safe? 

Bidville is serious about our Privacy Policy.  The VIP Program is no exception.  If you are a registered seller, we already have your phone number in our files.  It is not shared with anyone.
How will potential bidders know that I am part of the VIP program?   

A special VIP icon  will be placed next to your User Name to indicate you are a participant.
Is this system perfect?  Can it be fooled?   

No fraud protection system is perfect.  Online fraudsters always seem to find ways around the 'rules'.  The VIP Program is just one more layer of added protection to help keep our community safe.  We believe it is unlikely that fraudsters will allow us to call their actual phone number.  If they do, and they are determined to be a fraudster, we can then help law enforcement agencies track them down.
I'm ready to get started.  What do I do?   

To begin the process, use the 'Enroll Now' button here or at the top of this page.

http://www.bidville.com/help/safe_beta.asp

Quote:Bidville is in the process of developing innovative solutions to keep our community safe.  The SAFE Program is currently still in the developmental stages. However, we feel it is important that our members know exactly what our priorities are and how we plan to safeguard our members.  We are confident that this program, along with others that will be introduced soon, will make us pioneers of eCommerce safety.   
Welcome to your newer, safer Bidville.

Bidville's goal is to stop fraudulent buyers from registering and bidding on your items. We began doing our part by employing more strict registration checks and balances than ever before. Here's what else we have in the works:

An Express Checkout system so your bidders can instantly pay for any Storefront or 'Take It' items they win. 'Take It' and Storefront items that use the Express Checkout option, will not officially end until your bidder actually pays you for the item. This step alone will significantly reduce fraudulent bidders. Our target date to introduce Express Checkout is November 30th.

Prevention of "Western Union Scam" emails and "Nigerian Scam" emails. We will soon implement a publicly viewable "Ask Seller a Question" option. Asking a question will no longer be emailed directly to our sellers. The questions (and answers) will be viewable by all members on the auction's details page. The seller of an item with a pending question will still be contacted by email. But, the email will simply state that they have a question to come and answer. This process will help rid your mailbox of these annoying emails. And, it will allow Bidville to track and suspend these fraudulent bidders. (We may still allow buyers to send a private message to sellers at the discretion of the seller.)

The Bidville SAFE Program. This is being developed to allow YOU to decide who YOU feel comfortable selling to on Bidville. Please take a moment to look over this preview of Bidville SAFE. Our target date to introduce the SAFE program is November 30th.

Bidville SAFE Program
Sellers will be able to choose their own comfort level by selecting from the lists below. Please keep in mind that these options are still in development and are not ready for use yet. There may also be a few other options added (and some of these below may change) before introducing the final product.

Bidder Location
I will ONLY accept USA registered bidders
I will ONLY accept USA and Canada registered bidders
I will accept USA, Canada, and International bidders

Bidder Feedback

I will NOT accept bidders with feedback < 0
I will accept bidders with feedback = 0
I will ONLY accept bidders with feedback > 1
I will ONLY accept bidders with NO Negative Feedback
I will ONLY allow bidders with feedback = 0 if I pre-approve them

Bidder Registration

I will accept bidders that registered anytime
I will ONLY accept bidders that registered > 3 days ago
I will ONLY accept bidders with a credit card on file with Bidville

Bidder Approval

I will ONLY allow a new bidder (never bid on YOUR auctions) to bid on 1 item per day
I will ONLY allow a new bidder (never bid on YOUR auctions) to bid on 2 items per day
I will ONLY allow new bidders(never bid on YOUR auctions) if I pre-approve them

Bidder Verification

I will allow ANY bidder that uses the Express Checkout feature
I will ONLY accept bidders enrolled in the Bidville VIP Program (Verification of Identity by Phone)

Quote:An Express Checkout system so your bidders can instantly pay for any Storefront or 'Take It' items they win.

Instantly pay with what?  A listing of the payment methods available would be nice.  :Smile
Looks like they are attempting to copy Bid-alot with multiple feedback, VIP, and fraud protection and other stuff.
Express Checkout-eBay Immediate Payment Required

Quote:We will soon implement a publicly viewable "Ask Seller a Question" option. Asking a question will no longer be emailed directly to our sellers. The questions (and answers) will be viewable by all members on the auction's details page.

Bad idea folks will use it to put spam in other sellers listings and attack others  BangHead

Quote:Bad idea folks will use it to put spam in other sellers listings and attack others

attack others meaning try to ruin their competitors' reputation.  the fraud prevention measures are a good start but they introduce a whole new way to abuse the system and/or your fellow sellers.
Quote: 10/29/2005
Valued Members,

In our continuing effort to improve the Bidville Experience for all members, we have implemented a few more of the changes mentioned in previous postings. We are very aware that not everyone will agree with our methods and newly found energy to improve Bidville. Please keep in mind we all have the same goals - sell more, buy more, have more fun.

Auction details pages now have a section titled "Seller Profile" which alerts potential bidders as to the status of the seller. Most of the information in the profile was already on the details page, but it was scattered. We added three pieces of information (join date, CC on file and VIP status). And, we organized it into a much easier to read format. The goal of this was to help potential bidders decide if the seller is reputable or not. Previously, this was not very easy and we certainly had our share of seller fraud. These days are changing.

In our first movement to help prevent bidder fraud, the Ask Question about this Item form is now in effect. Sellers will no longer receive private emails from bidders who have questions. The question will be posted publicly for all to see. The seller will receive an email stating he/she has a question to answer with a link to answer it. If the question seems suspicious (Nigerian scam, Western Union scam), there is a link to report it to Customer Service. Very simple and easy to use. Now, we can monitor this problem and begin to take control of it. Bye, bye scammers. (Already had one victim this morning.)

Thanks for continuing to grow with us.

Bidville Management
Quote: attack others meaning try to ruin their competitors' reputation.  the fraud prevention measures are a good start but they introduce a whole new way to abuse the system and/or your fellow sellers.

I disagree, BA has had public viewable "Ask Seller" for some time. Granted we don't quite have the traffic that BV has, but we also don't have the MO scams or CC scams that BV has been plagued with.

BV didn't plagerise, but ... that must mean we are probably doing something right if a site wants to copy. I think its funny.  
day light
dollar short
bidville stll sucks

Pages: 1 2 3