TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Introductory/welcome text on Web pages...kill the welcome mat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From usability expert Jakob Nielsen:

Quote:    Introductory text on Web pages is usually too long, so users skip it. But short intros can increase usability by explaining the remaining content's purpose.

The introductory paragraph(s) found at the top of many Web pages is what I call blah-blah text: a block of words that users typically skip when they arrive at a page. Instead, their eyes go directly to more actionable content, such as product features, bulleted lists, or hypertext links.

The worst kind of blah-blah has no function; it's pure filler — platitudes, such as "Welcome to our site, we hope you will find our new and improved design helpful."

Kill the welcome mat and cut to the chase.

People read very little on Web pages. Don't waste word count on generic, feel-good material....

full article: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/intro-text.html
Quote:The introductory paragraph(s) found at the top of many Web pages is what I call blah-blah text: a block of words that users typically skip when they arrive at a page.

You mean visitors don't read the introductory NOVEL that takes up the entire home page of some ecommerce sites? I'm shocked!

Confusedarcasm1:
Quote:You mean visitors don't read the introductory NOVEL that takes up the entire home page of some ecommerce sites? I'm shocked!

:blinkie:

Should I kill it on my shop?

Icon_albino