TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: A new 1-day record: over $20,000...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
...in attempted credit card fraud by a Ghana credit card theft ring at one of our stores--in one day Angryfire BangHead BangHead ...bringing this month's total up to $25K.  Angryfire BangHead

I just voided $9K in approved transactions that these fuckers ran through our TS store.  There was another $11K+ in declined charges they tried to run through.  20 transactions using 5 different credit card numbers--18 transactions coming from an anonymous proxy (which is why we block proxy IPs from our servers) and 2 from a Ghana IP address.  Angryfire BangHead

The good news: we caught all of the fraudulent transactions today. Our fraud prevention measures seem to be working--our total losses to fraud this year are only $28 despite hundreds of attempts by scammers to rip us off Smile

Moral of the store: If you sell in a high risk category like consumer electronics always check the IP addresses of buyers to verify their location...and subscribe to your merchant provider's anti-fraud suite (both Cybersource and authorize.net offer good anti-fraud suites...LinkPoint's leaves a lot to be desired)

Quote:subscribe to your merchant provider's anti-fraud suite (both Cybersource and authorize.net offer good anti-fraud suites

:ditto:
Quote:...in attempted credit card fraud by a Ghana credit card theft ring at one of our stores--in one day angryfire BangHead BangHead ...bringing this month's total up to $25K.  angryfire BangHead

:blinkie: :blinkie: :blinkie:
Be thankful they weren't using PayPal.  You wouldn't have found out the charges were fraudulent until after you shipped.  Tongue2
10 Measures to Reduce Credit Card Fraud for Internet Merchants
http://www.fraudlabs.com/fraudLabswhitepaperpg1.htm

Reducing Online Credit Card Fraud Caveat Vendor
http://www.webdevelopersjournal.com/arti...fraud.html

General Guidelines for Preventing Online Credit Card Fraud
http://www.maxmind.com/app/prevent_credit_card_fraud
Quote:If you sell in a high risk category like consumer electronics

Adult websites are the highest risk category for credit card fraud.  Sex

EDIT: closely followed by intangible goods (downloads, ebooks, services, etc.)
Scammers love Epson projectors for some reason.  :Smile

The latest:

Quote:Declined (Pick Up Card)

Total Amount: USD 1,679.99

If anyone wants to block 90% of the IPs in Ghana add these CIDRs to your firewall:

41.210.0.0/18
80.87.64.0/19
Another 8,190 Ghana IPs blocked this morning:
41.211.0.0/19

Quote:bringing this month's total up to $25K.

it's close to $30K now  Angryfire

We've had a few attempts from the Gaza strip a couple of months ago... but our product base is such a low-risk category, we don't attract much attention from these sh!theads. 

Question to BBH - when you're blocking IP's, are you doing it at the server level or within zen or within your payment gateway? (or something else I don't know about?)

EDIT - LinkPoint gateway has the ability to block class-c IP's... I'm assuming most gateways do.

Quote:our product base is such a low-risk category, we don't attract much attention from these sh!theads.

Our bargainbloodhound (diecast cars) site rarely has any problems...tulipstuff (consumer electronics) has problems 24/7.

Quote:when you're blocking IP's, are you doing it at the server level or within zen or within your payment gateway? (or something else I don't know about?)

EDIT - LinkPoint gateway has the ability to block class-c IP's... I'm assuming most gateways do.

We block the IPs in our servers' firewalls.

Authorize.net's Fraud Detection Suite has IP address blocking, approved server IPs, and an IP velocity filter to limit the number of transactions that can come from one IP within a set time period.

Pages: 1 2