TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Etsy: A Marketplace with a Mission
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:After speaking with Rob Kalin, the founder of handmade products marketplace Etsy.com, it's apparent that like any true entrepreneur, his company isn't just a means to a paycheck. It's a mission: A mission to change the way commerce works; a mission to promote sustainable products; a mission that, much like eBay, is creating an exponential number of entrepreneurs in its wake.

EBay is an apt, but ironic, comparison. It was frustration with the online auction giant that first inspired Kalin to create Etsy in 2005...

A little more than two years later, Etsy has 100,000 active sellers and 500,000 members. More than 1 million items have been sold through the site, which has become synonymous with handmade goods...

full article: http://www.entrepreneur.com/startingabus...84996.html
Great article, Mandy--TY!!

From all I've observed, Etsy has the potential to be a really great site if they can keep the company culture from changing too much as they grow larger.
Kalin can often be found moderating the forums (which are remarkably civil, overall), where he is known as "rokali". I don't participate on the forums, but I do read them occasionally, and they really are pretty amazing considering how civil they are, how competititors help each other, etc.. VERY different from eBay's forums!

The only thing that sort of annoys me sometimes, is the absolute plethora of people who are hobby sellers, and usually underprice their products, which of course, affects every other Etsy seller in their category. Many of these people are not actually making a dime, nor are they so much as breaking even in some cases. Ridiculous! Tongue2
Quote:absolute plethora of people who are hobby sellers, and usually underprice their products, which of course, affects every other Etsy seller in their category. Many of these people are not actually making a dime, nor are they so much as breaking even in some cases. Ridiculous!

Clueless hobby sellers like that were one of the things I always hated about selling on eBay. On the bright side, Etsy will probably be able to avoid the manufacturers and large chain stores who liquidate their merchandise for a fraction of its cost on eBay.
Quote:Clueless hobby sellers like that were one of the things I always hated about selling on eBay.

Too bad Etsy can't make a rule regarding pricing formulas. If everyone in a category used the same formula, all would eventually benefit, IMO. Meanwhile, there are daily forum threads regarding underpricing............ :Smile
Quote:Too bad Etsy can't make a rule regarding pricing formulas. If everyone in a category used the same formula, all would eventually benefit, IMO.

I wouldn't want a site to force a price range on me.
[quote author=amy link=topic=16615.msg65538#msg65538 date=1192138773]
Quote:Too bad Etsy can't make a rule regarding pricing formulas. If everyone in a category used the same formula, all would eventually benefit, IMO.

I wouldn't want a site to force a price range on me.
[/quote]

I agree, Amy. Actually, I was referring to formulas, which in itself was a stupid idea that wouldn't work and would never fly. Tard