TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Dot Mobi Auction: Hosting.mobi $101K, Bank.mobi $51.5K lead the pack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:The first dot-mobi auction has closed on a high, with domain name marketplace Sedo.com selling 100 mobile web addresses to the highest bidders.

This was the first time the mobile domain names have been sold through an auction process rather than on a "first come, first served" basis. The web addresses were some of the 5,500 "premium names" - commonly-used, generic words and phrases - set aside by dotMobi (the company managing the new dot-mobi top level domain) before the launch of the domain in September 2006....

It seems the dot-mobi domains are now being taken seriously by the industry...

full article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/11/...n_auction/
That is really good news......... :turkey1: :turkey1:
In addition the TRAFFIC auction today (October 12) yielded:

poker.mobi - $150,000
ringtones.mobi - $145,000
news.mobi - $110,000
shopping.mobi - $55,000
email.mobi - $50,000
scores.mobi - $33,000
buy.mobi - $32,500
podcast.mobi - $25,000
cash.mobi - $12,500
pda.mobi - $8,000
zipcodes.mobi - $8,000
bill.mobi - $3,000

Certainly the .com vesion of these names would sell for much higher, but these prices, according to most posters on the domain boards, are comparable with .net and .org. -- a very strong showing for a new extension.

The article does not mention an important fact. The .Mobi domains sold in both the SEDO and TRAFFIC auctions carry a requirement that the domain be developed with relevant content within six months. Also included are the standard .Mobi format requirements. The buyer could lose the domain if this does not take place. The .Mobi promoters have thousands of other high quality names to release, probably under similar terms.

This means that quickly there will be many .mobi websites offering their content especially designed for the small screen and the other requirements and limitations of mobile devices.
accentnepal, I think that as well as being a jewelry mavin, you are our resident domain market expert, lol. Seriously, I always enjoy reading your posts because I learn more than I usually get from the article itself!! Tongue
Thanks Belle-

I believe there is money to be made in domain names, for those willing to research and do their own thinking. It is also a highly addicting hobby that can consume a lot of money.

Plus there is the trouble that you get into when you say to a beautiful woman: "Would you like to see my Mobis?"
Quote:I believe there is money to be made in domain names, for those willing to research and do their own thinking.

Patience and the means to develop the names helps too.
Quote:Plus there is the trouble that you get into when you say to a beautiful woman: "Would you like to see my Mobis?"

Happy001