TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Meg Can't Make Up Her Mind: Core is out, Fixed price is in
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:CEO Meg Whitman told analysts that eBay will see a higher percentage of its Gross Merchandise Volume (GMV) in fixed-price format and called it the fastest-growing part of the market. The remarks were made Wednesday during a conference call when analyst Benjamin Schachter of UBS asked if the rising number of fixed-price listings as a percentage of GMV would be problematic given eBay's Store versus Core issues of last summer. Whitman said it's not about the format, it's about finding...

According to eBay's SEC filings, fixed-price trading as a percentage of gross merchandise volume went from 32% in the third quarter of 2005 to 37% in the third quarter of 2006 to 41% in the third quarter of 2007...

full article: http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y07/m10/i19/s01
:asshat2:
Well, I seem to remember many people on the boards trying to tell them that BIN was better last year when the fee increases were announced. Why do such unintuitive people ever make it to the top anyway?  Tongue2
Quote:Well, I seem to remember many people on the boards trying to tell them that BIN was better last year

The launch of eBay Express indicates that eBay itself thought that BIN held more long term promise but eBay's primary concern has always been trying to please Wall Street in the short term.  Analysts were worried last Spring/Summer about eBay's CORE and so eBay's response was last Summer's "back to the CORE" marketing push/store fee hikes.  The attempt to push buyers and sellers to CORE did please Wall Street (and boosted the stock price) but you can't mandate buyer behavior and so the CORE push ultimately failed.
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=16692.msg65777#msg65777 date=1193101600]
Quote:Well, I seem to remember many people on the boards trying to tell them that BIN was better last year

The launch of eBay Express indicates that eBay itself thought that BIN held more long term promise but eBay's primary concern has always been trying to please Wall Street in the short term.  Analysts were worried last Spring/Summer about eBay's CORE and so eBay's response was last Summer's "back to the CORE" marketing push/store fee hikes.  The attempt to push buyers and sellers to CORE did please Wall Street (and boosted the stock price) but you can't mandate buyer behavior and so the CORE push ultimately failed.
[/quote]

translation > Meg kissed some major Wall Street ass last year.  Icon_biggrin
Quote:eBay's primary concern has always been trying to please Wall Street in the short term.

Er, very "short-sighted".  Big Grin

[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=16692.msg65787#msg65787 date=1193149604]
Quote:eBay's primary concern has always been trying to please Wall Street in the short term.

Er, very "short-sighted".  Big Grin
[/quote]

Ebay's focus on the short term is great for sellers--NOT!

Anyone with access to the VERY generic stats at medved could see that BIN has outperformed auctions for a very long time. 

How many YEARS did it take ebay to figure that out?  ... and I'm sure they have MUCH better statistics that are known to the public.

La