TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: New Venue Coming In January from NewEgg: NewEggMall.com
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
NewEgg (10th largest Internet retailer, 2006 sales $1.5 billion plus) will be opeing a venue in January 2008:  NewEggMall.com.  Pricing will be free for the first 6 months if you sign on now and then reportedly $29.99 monthly with no listing fees but a 15% final sale fee.

more info: http://www.neweggmall.com/partners/Welcome.html

Quote:NeweggMall.com is a pioneering online retail marketplace for all types of general merchandise, from Apparel to Home Living to Health & Beauty and more. Our aim is to make online shopping and selling easy by handling the time-consuming tasks of advertising, attracting traffic and hosting a powerful website so you don't have to!
Quote:Our Cost-per-Order Model is fantastic for you, because we allow you to list as many products as you want and we won't charge a single listing fee for any of them. Only when a customer actually buys your product do we charge a commission fee — and our commission rates are always extremely competitive!

What's more, because we don't get paid if you don't sell, our priority is always to drive more traffic to your product pages with our aggressive advertising campaigns and promotions. With NeweggMall.com, you can receive the same kind of grand-scale traffic and exposure that major brands get at a superstore, but at a price tailored to your business, whatever its size!

A google search shows the site has done some recent hiring:
http://www.google.com/search?q=neweggmall&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-25,GGGL:en
THE POSITIVE: The first (Etsy excluded) promising venue launch since Overstock announced their auctions in 2004.  Toothy9

THE NEGATIVE: the last electronics retailer to try this was OnSale (then owned by PCMall) in 2003/2004 (http://web.archive.org/web/2004110405232...nsale.com/ ) after they bought the technology assets of the original '90's dot com OnSale auction site.  The site they launched had great features, stores, etc...but they never promoted it and it was shut without notice in the Spring of 2005...it never attracted more than a few thousand listings.  Hopefully NewEgg will promote their new mall.

Quote:Pricing will be free for the first 6 months if you sign on now and then reportedly $29.99 monthly with no listing fees but a 15% final sale fee.

6 months free is nice.........15% of final sales seems a little high, but if you get the type of traffic they are promising.............

Just signed up.  Smile

I've always believed that NO listing fees is not a good thing.  Once a seller ponies up the monthly fee, there is no incentive to list quality products - they can diluge the site with crap. 

IMO - that's one of the things that killed Yahoo auctions (that, and ironically their lack of promotion, as well) - and they were eBay's biggest competitor at one time!

Of course then you have the case of Overstock - major promotion for an extended period of time - and I wouldn't put them in the "success" column just yet. 

Quote:I've always believed that NO listing fees is not a good thing.  Once a seller ponies up the monthly fee, there is no incentive to list quality products - they can diluge the site with crap. 

IMO - that's one of the things that killed Yahoo auctions

Yahoo's elimination of listing fees in June 2005 and the explosion in listings from 125K to 1.1 million definitely killed our sell through rate on the site.

Amazon is probably the only site that has been successful with charging monthly fees and keeping the site crap free.  Other sites like OnlineAuction (8.5 million penny baseball cards) have become dumping grounds for crap when they charged monthly fees.

Quote:Of course then you have the case of Overstock - major promotion for an extended period of time - and I wouldn't put them in the "success" column just yet.

I'd put O in the 'failed' column after their policy changes last December alienated larger sellers (Trusted Merchants) and caused listings to fall 90% in one month.  They'd already driven off small sellers by Spring 2005 with their unlevel playing field (Trusted Merchant program, free listings for larger sellers--both of which we benefited from).  If Patrick Byrne hadn't devoted all of his waking hours to his crusade against short sellers things might have been different,

Quote:6 months free is nice.........15% of final sales seems a little high, but if you get the type of traffic they are promising

15% is about what Amazon charges.  If they deliver on the traffic $29.95 will be a bargain, but if they fall on their faces like OnSale did...

Quote:The site they launched had great features, stores, etc

OnSale had twice as many glitches as eBay.  Overstock was also hurt by massive glitches and server breakdowns during its first two months.  NewEggMall needs to have a smooth running site when they open their doors in January.
Quote:THE POSITIVE: The first (Etsy excluded) promising venue launch since Overstock announced their auctions in 2004.

What about Wagglepop 2funny and HiBidder? Happy001

Quote:I've always believed that NO listing fees is not a good thing.  Once a seller ponies up the monthly fee, there is no incentive to list quality products - they can diluge the site with crap.

Gimme a B
Gimme an I
Gimme a D
Gimme a V
Gimme an I
Gimme a L
Gimme a L
Gimme an E
Some additional requirements for NewEggMall:

Quote:    * The ability to send an XML/Flat File product data feed (selected)
    * A published and active phone number and email address where customers can reach you
    * A contact person to act as liaison between you and Newegg Mall
    * A physical address of operation (not a Post Office Box)

FYI--NewEgg has 8 million customers
Quote:a 15% final sale fee.

The final sales fee is category dependent and ranges from 6.5%-15%

Computer Hardware 6.5%
Consumer Electronics 8%
Auto & Hardware 12%
Apparel & Accessories 13%
Shoes 13%
Jewelry & Watches 13%
Health & Wellness 13%
Beauty 13%
Home & Living 13%
Outdoor & Garden 13%
All other products lines 15%

I think they're going to be selective about which businesses (key word) they select to sell on NME.

I'm filling out the questionnaire and thinking Shop.com clone.
Quote:I'm filling out the questionnaire and thinking Shop.com clone.

I'm leaning towards it being an Amazon/Shop,com clone.  Tongue

We're fighting over who gets to fill out the long questionnaire.  ;D

Quote:he final sales fee is category dependent and ranges from 6.5%-15%

I'm happy with 8% and no listing fees.  Smile ...of course the 8% will make it almost impossible for us to undercut NewEgg on price.  Sad
Pages: 1 2