TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Email Is For Old People
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:By 2002, everyone in my family had become an Internet convert. For the technophobic older generation, signing up for an e-mail account was a concession to us youngsters—if the kids don't call home, they thought, we'll just reach them through the computer. Everyone was especially eager to send messages to my niece, a kid who wasn't all that chatty on the phone but was almost always glued to her PC. But while the rest of us happily exchanged forwards and life updates, she almost never piped up. Eventually, I sussed out the truth: She was too busy sending IMs and text messages to bother with e-mail. That's when I realized that my agility with e-mail no longer marked me as a tech-savvy young adult. It made me a lame old fogey.

Those of us older than 25 can't imagine a life without e-mail. For the Facebook generation, it's hard to imagine a life of only e-mail, much less a life before it...

full article: http://slate.com/id/2177969/
Amazing - I hear that people used to communicate by pressing air from their lungs and forcing vibrations in it - how utterly primitive.

They called it talking.
Wonder if it hurt?  :Smile
[quote author=accentnepal link=topic=16929.msg66499#msg66499 date=1195393626]
Amazing - I hear that people used to communicate by pressing air from their lungs and forcing vibrations in it - how utterly primitive.

They called it talking.
Wonder if it hurt?  :Smile
[/quote]

Lol, remember letter writing?

When I was young, my Grandfather (my Dad's dad) lived approx 70 miles away from us. We saw them often, and I usually spent 3-4 weeks with them in the summer, but the real foundation of our relationship was the written word. We wrote back and forth at least twice a week, and I still have all of his letters--they are my "treasure". He taught me so much about everything, and I miss him greatly.

Okay, ode to Grandpa, and letter writing over now. Big Grin

Personally, I love email and IM and texting. I HATE talking on the phone for any length of time, and most of my friends and family are aware of that. I do talk on the phone to my brothers a lot, but anyone else usually gets sent to my voice mail.  Tard
I prefer email over texting.