TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay considering new fee structure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
from a Q&A with eBay's John Donahoe:

Quote:About 12-18 mos ago became clear to JD that it was time to evolve, hadn’t kept up with competition on Internet

* First focus on improving buyer experience (“BE”).  Huge historical growth driven by business model that just ‘caught fire’
          o Bunch of stuff here we've all heard before, shipping/feedback/ease of use/T+S
          o DSRs, advantage good/punish bad sellers 
          o In 2008 we’ll increasingly use this data (gulp)
          o We have 2,000 people in T&S worldwide  (wow)

* Lastly, playing with pricing model
          o High insertion + feature + lower FVF is historically model
          o Appropriate for value + selection in auction format
          o But in fixed price need to rebalance
          o Best formats have lower up-front, higher back-end fees
          o In last three months we’ve studied how to change fees
          o Will rebalance pricing to charge less up front and more on back end.  Take rate neutral though.

Ok, take a second and re-reated that last part about pricing.  There's been speculation with the testing eBay is doing they may look at this, but this is the first and hardest statement I've ever heard out of them.  Later in the Q+A:

Q: "When will we see new pricing"?

A: Q108 we’ll be talking about our plans here

full article: http://ebaystrategies.blogs.com/ebay_str...mes-o.html

eBay is testing FVF only/no listing fees on eBay Motors Stores Parts & Accessories

Quote:On the heels of John Donahoe's admission today (see previous post) that eBay is likely going to change pricing in Q108, eBay, via TSAMs, quietly sent out what appears to be an 'invite only' special eBay motors promotion that basically has zero listing fee, but a higher FVF...

full article: http://ebaystrategies.blogs.com/ebay_str...ng-fv.html

Don't free listing sites get jammed to the gills with cr@p nobody ever buys?

There seems a trace of desperation here -

My ebay sales have sucked this year. Maybe everyone's have and the high-ups are feeling stockholder pressure???

I know I would list more if it didn't take an hour to change the price in a listing.
[quote author=mandy link=topic=17059.msg66892#msg66892 date=1196852717]
eBay is testing FVF only/no listing fees on eBay Motors Stores Parts & Accessories

Quote:On the heels of John Donahoe's admission today (see previous post) that eBay is likely going to change pricing in Q108, eBay, via TSAMs, quietly sent out what appears to be an 'invite only' special eBay motors promotion that basically has zero listing fee, but a higher FVF...

full article: http://ebaystrategies.blogs.com/ebay_str...ng-fv.html
[/quote]

Oh yes this was well thought out. Announced less then 7 hours before the promotion started forcing sellers in this category, including myself, to rethink their strategy for the 2 busiest weeks of the year in that time frame. There was no opt out so I did a work around, ended my SIL items that would have ended during that 2 week period. Added quantity to all other SIL's. Relisted all the SIL's that I had ended with additional quantity. My prediction, I saved myself $150 in eBay fees.

Wish I took a screenshot of the original promotion graphics as whoever did them deserved the designer of the month award.  Confusedarcasm1:

I did have a good laugh when the eBay Motors live chat attendent told me I could put my store on vacation. Confusedarcasm1:

If a flat 10% FVF is what is to be, the once good marketing channel eBay has been will come to a quick end.

Let the Truth be Told.
Quote:Don't free listing sites get jammed to the gills with cr@p nobody ever buys?

Did somebody say Bidville?
Quote:Best formats have lower up-front, higher back-end fees

So what is he trying to say? Is he trying to imply that store merchandise will have a better chance of being moved to the general listings if the fee structure is similar or is he really suggesting we should pack up our toys and go play in Amazon's sand box since they are the best format?