TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay and Yahoo Form Partnership to Add Yahoo Banner Advertising to eBay Pages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

Quote:If they stuck AdWords on completed (or open) item pages there wouldn't be an opt-out. 

Well, you could always change your template and add some big arrow graphics that point towards the ads, or use CSS or something to alter the ads...  Then report them to Google for violating the Adsense TOS ..  :twistedevil:

That might be a good way to get rid of the ads  Laughing7
Probably wouldn't work.  I think AdSense's policy enforcement is a lot like eBay's...not exactly a level playing field.
Partnership announced:  Yahoo banner ads coming soon to an eBay page near you...

Quote:Yahoo! and eBay Form Strategic Partnership to Further Expand Their Businesses in U.S.

SUNNYVALE and SAN JOSE, Calif., May 25, 2006 - Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) and eBay Inc. (Nasdaq: EBAY) today announced a multi-year strategic partnership designed to mutually benefit both companies by better serving their user, merchant, and advertising communities in the U.S. The agreement consists of four major components in the areas of search and graphical advertising, online payments, a co-branded toolbar, and the opportunity to explore "click-to-call" functionality.

"Our consumers will benefit from the combination of Yahoo! and eBay's leading technology and services, providing them with one of the best online experiences," said Terry Semel, chairman and chief executive officer, Yahoo! Inc. "Yahoo! holds a leadership position in all forms of online advertising. This partnership with eBay provides us with a great opportunity to further extend our sponsored search and graphical advertising reach to one of the largest and most active communities on the Web."

"We are thrilled to be working more closely with Yahoo! and we think this agreement represents a great opportunity to benefit our communities and grow our businesses," said Meg Whitman, president and chief executive officer, eBay Inc. "Yahoo! offers an engaged online audience, which drives massive traffic through its rich consumer content and premium services. Working together, we can create more exposure for our properties, which in turn makes them more valuable to our users."

Yahoo! and eBay will begin to roll out the initiatives outlined in the agreement this year. This will include a testing phase that will take place over the next several months, with a plan to achieve full implementation in 2007.

Further details of the agreement include:

Search and Advertising:

Yahoo! will become the exclusive third-party provider of all graphical advertisements throughout the eBay.com site, and sponsored search for complementary products on some eBay.com search results pages in the U.S. Yahoo! already provides a broad and deep array of essential services to an extremely engaged audience around the world. Through this partnership, Yahoo! can expand upon these strengths with the addition of eBay.com's high quality online inventory, offering advertising clients an optimal marketing experience.

Yahoo! and eBay have also agreed to collaborate on ways to increase the quality and comprehensiveness of Yahoo! Web search results for eBay.com and to provide Yahoo! search users with more up-to-date listings from the millions of products on the eBay.com marketplace, with the goal to create a better search experience by enabling shoppers to more easily find relevant eBay listings.

Integrated Commerce Payment System:

Yahoo! has selected PayPal to become the exclusive third-party provider of its online wallet - allowing customers to pay for Yahoo! services from bank accounts, credit cards or balances associated with their PayPal accounts. PayPal, which has 73 million accounts in the U.S., also will be deeply integrated on the Yahoo! site and will receive prominent positioning when users purchase Yahoo! services across its network. This offering will provide Yahoo! consumers with additional online payment choices and the option to use PayPal across the entire Yahoo! network.

PayPal will be integrated and promoted as Yahoo!'s payment solution to Yahoo!'s merchants and publishers, which includes the Yahoo! Publisher Network, Yahoo! Search Marketing, Yahoo! Merchant Solutions and other small business services.

Co-Branded eBay Toolbar:

Yahoo! Web search functionality and Yahoo! site links, including the Yahoo! Home Page, Yahoo! Mail and My Yahoo!, will be integrated into a co-branded version of the eBay toolbar. The eBay toolbar has been downloaded by more than four million eBay users to date, and lets consumers quickly link to preferred eBay locations while offering enhanced online protection. This new co-branded toolbar will make it even easier for consumers to take advantage of both companies' offerings to quickly access information wherever they are on the Web.

"Click-to-Call" Advertising Functionality:

Yahoo! and eBay will explore developing and deploying "click-to-call" advertising technologies on their respective Websites in the U.S., accessible by users of both Yahoo! Messenger with Voice and Skype. "Click-to-call" is a product feature link included inside an advertisement that consumers can use to directly call that advertiser to pursue a transaction.

Yahoo! and eBay do not expect this relationship to have a material impact on their financial results in 2006. Both companies will incorporate any financial impact for 2007 and beyond when they deliver their business outlook for those periods..
Like I said before.
Google needs to shit or get off the pot.
(Not for me, but for the millions who are so desperate
for an alternative in the OAI and payment arenas in the US.

Looks like Google is getting ready to lose some serious
advertising revenue paid to them by ebay too.

I've thought for months when ever I would go to Yahoo auctions
(which is not much)... That something was odd.
Yahoo already has PayPal incorporated in Y Auctions.
I just scratched my head and said hmmm.

I don't understand why competing companies would do this
other than the obvious reasons of money or possible fear
of the lack of future earnings i.e.money,
both companies my be anticipating due others encroaching in their markets.

Now let me get this right.
Yahoo has Japan's OAI (Beat ebay out)
Yahoo is in bed with Taobao and competing against ebay in China
(Taobao BETTER watch thier backs an not let Yahoo sabatoge them)
And now Yahoo is in bed with ebay in the US?

Way over my head but it looks like what ever
Goggle or others have planed they better get the ball rolling NOW.

On thing this just helped me decide to transfer my domain
and website to another company.

I've been thinking about it for a couple of years
because I'm still on the VERY limited and old
Yahoo Website plan and servers.
(They haven't even renewed their certs nor answered my
email about a mail forwarding problem their mails client has having
for a few weeks now. (Sounds very ebayish to me)

Well that settles it. Bye bye Yahoo hello new company.
Now off to find out who has a good plan for under 14.00 a month.

Quote:***A message from Bill Cobb – eBay Agreement with Yahoo!*** 

May 25, 2006 | 05:00AM PST/PT

I’d like to share an important piece of news with our Community. eBay and Yahoo! have signed an agreement to work closer together in ways that will benefit both of our communities of users. I want to explain some of the details of this agreement and how they’ll benefit both buyers and sellers in the eBay marketplace.

Here are the main areas of agreement:

Increased inclusion of eBay sponsored and web search results on Yahoo!
We know that for eBay sellers, it’s all about buyer demand. As a part of this agreement, eBay and Yahoo! have agreed to collaborate in the area of sponsored search (that is, purchased keywords) and web search (content on the Internet that is indexed by Yahoo!). The net result is that eBay sellers will benefit from a more comprehensive inclusion of eBay pages on Yahoo! Search, and an increase in sponsored search results across Yahoo!’s U.S. pages.

For example, on the web search side, eBay and Yahoo! are collaborating on technology to improve the way eBay.com pages are delivered for indexing by Yahoo!, in order to expand the number of eBay.com web search results on Yahoo!. In sponsored search, the two companies will collaborate to allow Yahoo! to accept many more keyword purchases from eBay.com, improving eBay’s inclusion in sponsored search results.

These efforts will mean that Yahoo!’s millions of users will have more access to eBay listings, and eBay.com sellers should benefit from increased traffic to the site.

eBay looking to Yahoo! for best-in-class search marketing
The sales, implementation, and management of ad space on the Internet is a highly specialized function, and Yahoo! is a leader in this area. While eBay serves up many graphical ads on the site today, quite frankly, our own advertising infrastructure is not as robust as it could be. Instead of investing in more infrastructure for eBay, we’re pleased to be partnering with Yahoo! who can provide this service as a benefit to our buyers and sellers.

Another area eBay will work with Yahoo! on is improving our keyword ad program. We realize that sellers have wanted better service and support than has been provided through our current eBay Keywords program. I believe eBay’s marketplace will benefit from leveraging Yahoo!’s strengths in this area.

Over the summer, eBay and Yahoo! will also be testing new text ad placements on some eBay pages. For instance, we’ll be looking at placements at the bottom of search results pages if there are no matching items found. We’ll be testing other placements on a limited number of search results pages, too, as a way to learn what works well for eBay buyers and sellers. This will include testing some sponsored search ads for complementary products and services – for example, a buyer searching for a hair dryer might be presented with sponsored search ads for related items like shampoo or hair brushes. To be clear, we will not place ads on view item pages.

Our number one concern is ensuring that the changes we make are right for our sellers and buyers. As we test, we’ll be monitoring the impact of any changes carefully, as well as listening to your input.

Additional areas of the agreement
PayPal is rapidly becoming the standard way to pay on the Internet. Today, we’re very pleased to announce that Yahoo! has decided to have PayPal exclusively power their own Yahoo! Wallet. Plus, we’ll be working with Yahoo! on a co-branded version of the eBay Toolbar. Finally, as e-commerce continues to evolve rapidly, Yahoo! and eBay have agreed to work together to explore click-to-call advertisements via Yahoo! Messenger with Voice and Skype, which would allow internet users to call merchants directly through their advertisements to pursue a transaction.

This agreement applies only to eBay.com and Yahoo! properties in the U.S. and does not extend to any of our international markets. You won’t see changes overnight on eBay, as both companies will be taking a careful approach to any site changes we make that includes substantial testing in 2006 before full implementation in 2007.

I believe this new agreement between Yahoo! and eBay leverages the best strengths of both our companies -- and in doing so, benefits both our communities. I invite you to share your comments or questions on eBay’s partnership with Yahoo! – please write to me at billcobb@ebay.com.

Sincerely,

Bill Cobb
President, eBay North America
Wasn't there a time when ebay was blocking search engines?
Then they started paying searches engines with CPC ads?

(Which BTW many browsers are set up like mine. If I click on a CPC
ebay ads "mediplex" BS
I get no page because that spy company is in my restricted zone
as per rockboss2000's fixes to get on ebay.

I guess what I'm getting at is that if ebay claims to be so popular then why
would they need to advertise other than occasional
TV spots or partner with a rival company in areas?

The more I think about this the more it looks like an act of desperation
as the site and any significant growth for ebay's core biz continues
to stay flat or maybe even loosing more ground than anyone knows.

Maybe Meg and team are lying about
the true numbers in many areas.
Just as MR. Leigh was just CONVICTED of today from Enron.

I sure hope so and hope them as much success as their last few ventures.

Happy001
Quote:This will include testing some sponsored search ads for complementary products and services – for example, a buyer searching for a hair dryer might be presented with sponsored search ads for related items like shampoo or hair brushes.

If I still sold on eBaY I'd be rioting over this news.
[quote author=maggie777 link=topic=3471.msg14988#msg14988 date=1148593489]
Quote:This will include testing some sponsored search ads for complementary products and services – for example, a buyer searching for a hair dryer might be presented with sponsored search ads for related items like shampoo or hair brushes.
[/quote]

I repeat:

[quote author=sneakymagenta link=topic=3471.msg12880#msg12880 date=1145743919]
Which :asshat2: team came up with this bright idea?
[/quote]
Maybe I can put a muted background in the few auctions I still run at ebay
that says (in faint lettering over and over)

COME BUY IT FOR LESS AT MY YAHOO ACTIONS.  Laughing7

The Auctionbytes blog has an article on the ads on eBay pages:

Quote:Expect eBay Sellers to Go Ballistic over Yahoo Paid Ads

eBay is allowing Yahoo paid-search ads to appear on eBay search results in the U.S., according to today's announcement .

Let's say I list an iPod on eBay for $19.95 and make it a featured listing. I'd be paying eBay 60 cents in listing fees and $19.95 for the Featured Plus upgrade so my listing will stand out on the search results pages. Imagine how I feel if right next to my featured listing is an ad for an iPod from a Yahoo Search Marketing advertiser that draws people away from the eBay.com website.

Remember, if the shopper chooses to purchase the iPod from the Yahoo advertiser, eBay gets nothing more. If they buy my iPod, eBay gets a Final Value Fee from me.

full article: http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blo...64915.html
Pages: 1 2 3 4