TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay and Yahoo Form Partnership to Add Yahoo Banner Advertising to eBay Pages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Just more DESPERATION of maybe a couple of companies
who feel they are going down the toilet.

I've never had any real opinions on Yahoo one way or the other.
(Just never understood why they didn't advertise their auctions more
which I began to suspect that back room deals a few years ago
over "turf" were made between ebay and Yahoo which if proven... 
would indeed be anti trust violations)...

I do recall when Yahoo auctions sales just about dried up like overnight.
As if Yahoo just turned off the lights for some strange reason .

I also remember Yahoo was like the only "way cool" company years
and years ago.. pre ebay. With games content and many pretty cool FREE services.

This move won't help either IMO.
Notice both companies stock is around the same right now?

I think these moves are more out of fear from rivals.

One thing I'm glad to see is Yahoo and ebay came "out of the closet"
and let everyone know they are really big buddies not rivals.

Remember me talking about fixing prices, allocating / dividing up
customers and other anti competitive conduct?

Well...It really doesn't matter because I know I'm not alone
in how I feel about mega corporations.
I believe millions still would rather deal with small to
medium bushiness on the net than be forced into
a "one size fits all... we are the only game in town"
mentality that mega  companies try to shove down the
consumers throats.

So I still think the trend will continue and specialty sites
and independent sites will continue to capture the
consumers and continue to prosper as more
and more are turned off by the mega sites / corporations.

Quote:Maybe Meg and team are lying about
the true numbers in many areas.
Just as MR. Leigh was just CONVICTED of today from Enron.

This would be my best guess,lol. ;D

[Image: ebay_yahoo.jpg]
;D
Interesting article from Channel Advisor CEO Scott Wingo who thinks the Yahoo/eBay partnership is the first step in Yahoo laying the groundwork for a takeover of eBay :

Quote:Is eBay Overture 2.0?? History repeats itself...

A little known ChannelAdvisor fact is that we are a spinout of Goto.com/Overture (the folks that invented this whole paid-search concept).

It's a well known fact that on July 15, 2003, Yahoo! acquired Overture for $1.2b.

What isn't well known is how the deal went down.  Stay with me as I will bring this back around to eBay.

By late 02, Overture was in a tough situation,...

full article: http://ebaystrategies.blogs.com/ebay_str...ertur.html
Hmmmmmmmm ..... Very interesting, yet rather disconcerting.  Perhaps that's why Bill Cobb and others have been selling their stock options and raking in the millions NOW, before they get canned in the buyout deal....

Also, they are already being integrated into each other -- banner ads, PayPal, etc.  Don't know what to really think of this, as I am not a knowledgeable Yahoo fan.
[quote author=stardust link=topic=3471.msg16739#msg16739 date=1151395748]
Hmmmmmmmm ..... Very interesting, yet rather disconcerting.  Perhaps that's why Bill Cobb and others have been selling their stock options and raking in the millions NOW, before they get canned in the buyout deal....

Also, they are already being integrated into each other -- banner ads, PayPal, etc.  Don't know what to really think of this, as I am not a knowledgeable Yahoo fan.
[/quote]

The whole thing sounds reasonable to me and can see why the hoo would do this all hoping the ebay stock DROPS to the mid to lower 20's.

On another note:

In this new deal with ebay.. Yahoo will Add Yahoo Banner Advertising to eBay Pages.

Didn't I just read that
the Nielsen/Norman Group finds Internet users avoid viewing banner ads?

Related topic:
http://community.tuliptools.com/index.ph...l#msg16749

SWEET move Yahoo. Drive MORE people away from ebay with your banner ads.
Ebay's appeal continues to DROP and with it goes the stock price.

The Y swoops down and buys the weekend ebay for a song and dance.

Meg and Bill are out with thier millions and the whole cycle starts over
again promising the moon to sellers on the NEW ebay with Yahoo at the helm.
Quote:ebay stock DROPS to the mid to lower 20's

Down 1.08 so far today.  New 52-week low of 28.64.
Update: the first Yahoo test ads began appearing on the eBay site this week.

Quote:In May, eBay North America President Bill Cobb had stated that the Yahoo ads would be for complementary products and services. "For example, a buyer searching for a hair dryer might be presented with sponsored search ads for related items like shampoo or hair brushes" .

However, the tests running this week appear to be for competing products in some cases. A search for "burberry rain boats" (a misspelling for both burberry rain coats and burberry rain boots) brought back zero eBay listings and three Yahoo advertisements, including one with a link to the Burberry website.

eBay spokesperson Catherine England explained , "Bill Cobb spoke about the possibility of presenting "complementary" ads on eBay searches that yielded results - where the ads would feature items related or complementary to the term searched. That may be something we test in the future; what we are currently testing is the display of Yahoo text ads on eBay searches that yield no results. As the test continues, we will continue to refine what gets displayed and when."...

Sellers discussing the ads on the eBay PowerSeller board...expressed concern that eBay "is sending people off eBay."...

full article: http://auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y06/m07/i19/s01
Update:

Quote:***Yahoo Graphical Advertising Changes*** 

September 05, 2006 | 02:45PM PST/PT

This week, eBay will begin displaying new graphical advertising banners as part of our partnership with Yahoo. Members can expect to see the following changes:

* On the Motors Home Page, a new graphical ad will be appearing on the right side of the page.

* On eBay.com Search Results Pages, the size of the graphical banner at the top of the page will be increased from 468 x 60 to 728 x 90. The new size will replace the existing smaller banner as well as two small text ad placements. This new ad size is the same size as the current banner ad that runs on the top of eBay Motors Search Results pages.

* On Search Results Pages, the size of the graphical banner on the lower left navigation of the page will change to 180 x 150.
Pages: 1 2 3 4