TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Another of eBay's Top Sellers Bites the Dust: Parrothead88, FB of 74,500 closes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[quote author=Anita link=topic=3718.msg13843#msg13843 date=1147439512]
I have never thought a thing about items being shipped to me in newspaper.  When I "learned" it was a no no, I was surprised.  I still don't know what the big deal is.  ???

[/quote]

Just curious, what is a NO NO about packing with news paper? I never do that, but I get packages like that all the time, especially from one certain state for some reason.

I usually just go to the local paper supply house and get peanuts and boxes and tape. Also recycle of course.
I don't personally feel using newspaper is a no no.  When I sold breakable items, I used it all the time!  I was just commenting on Xppman's statement about his customer whining about it. 
I have read where people say it isn't "professional," newspaper adds weight, or it can make an item to appear dirty, blah, blah, blah. 
Amazon used to be my supplier of packing peanuts until they switched to that blow up plastic stuff.  My only complaint with that is... I lost my packing peanut supplier.  lol
I have a shredder I bought for $5 at the Army and use shredded newspaper a LOT.  It makes a great layer between an outside box and the inside box for breakable items.  (IMO, anyway).    And a great space filler when I'm sending media in a box.  (Obviously, the book is wrapped in plastic so the newsprint doesn't rub on it.)

I tried the shredded route once.

Found that was heavier than just lightly crumpling up news paper and the
news paper seems to fill the voids faster and easier 
than the shredded stuff. at least for what I pack up.

Shredded paper can and will settle too during shipping increasing the chance
of breakage. Plus who ever is packing tends to want to really stuff a lot in there
to fill the voids... hence the extra unnecessary weight.

I guess it all has really has to do with what you ship too.

Now peanuts can be good but what a mess it can make.

I remember a long time ago shipping an aircraft part to a mechanic (Delta Dash)
who needed it right away for a jet sitting on the tarmac broken and loosing money
every hour it sat their delayed.

I used peanuts. The next day I got may a$$ chewed out over the phone because on a runway,
they don't like FOD (foreign object damage). I can still visualize this guy opening the package
right on the flight line and these stupid little peanuts start flying all over the place.

The FAA made him go chase and pick up every last one of those god forsaken little white
pieces of Styrofoam and if you can imagine the winds at an airport generated by other aircraft
and such.  Well I'll bet it took this guy a few hours to get all that mess up.

The point I'm making it that on the few occasions I use peanuts now.

I think hmmm wonder if the customer is going to be pissed off because
now he or she has that stuff all over the living room floor to pick up.  :Smile
NARU
Yes.  Newspaper does add weight, and DOES make items black (including fingers), so just place the widget in plastic first and don some gloves.... Then blacken it up all you want!
Heh . . . used some shredded newspaper today.  Item was shipping media so weight wasn't a huge issue and I had a lot to spare before I ticked over to the next pound.   

The ultimate in recycling.  Heck, I don't even buy the newspapers - my kid does. Smile
Well I meant it works for some and IT don't work for others.
My local 911 will give me all the shredded paper I want for FREE.

If any of you want... I'll sell IT to you.  LOL
Former packing peanuts user.  Current shredded paper user.  Icon_tongue

:Smile  You still get the best stuff by dumpster diving.  Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8