TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: phpBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there a way to move a free phpBB forum that is hosted on their POS overloaded servers that no longer work right or allow the search function to another server?

I know I can set one up on my server - but not if I can move the existing one over.    Obviously folks will have to go to a new url, etc. to sign in, but it would be nice to maintain our content and membership, etc. 
You need them to give you a copy of a database backup.  You'll also need to know the version number of the old software because you might need to perform an upgrade.

Recommendation: get the database and then switch to a more secure forum script.  Most scripts have converters that will convert your phpBB DB to their format.

phpBB security discussion: http://community.tuliptools.com/index.ph...425.0.html
I was going to ask who you recommend . . . but then I checked and saw that TT is using software that is already on my short list.  Smile  (Does it have the conversion option?? Smile)
Thank you!
Wave
We went with SMF and we LOVE it.  LOVE it. 

BUT we can't find how  to make the "show unread topics since last visit" search option show.  I LOVE that button.  I MISS that button.  I NEED that button. 

(Someone with a clue is actually setting up and customizing the board but she can't find it, either.  I know I could post at the SMF forum, but I know you guys and you guys know EVERYTHING so I figured I'd ask here. Smile)

Beth
[quote author=iron_chick link=topic=4091.msg18306#msg18306 date=1153527527]
We went with SMF and we LOVE it.  LOVE it. 

BUT we can't find how  to make the "show unread topics since last visit" search option show.  I LOVE that button.  I MISS that button.  I NEED that button. 

(Someone with a clue is actually setting up and customizing the board but she can't find it, either.  I know I could post at the SMF forum, but I know you guys and you guys know EVERYTHING so I figured I'd ask here. Smile)

Beth
[/quote]

Do you mean 'Show unread posts since last visit.'?

It should appear automatically when you login because it's included in the default header.  It might have been removed when she customized something.

(EDIT: the code in this post is for 1.1 RC2, see reply #10 for 1.07 code)

Go to the /Themes/default/index.template.php file.  If this code isn't there you can add it

Code:
// If the user is logged in, display stuff like their name, new messages, etc.
    if ($context['user']['is_logged'])
    {
        echo '
                                <a href="', $scripturl, '?action=unread">', $txt['unread_since_visit'], '</a>

<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=unreadreplies">', $txt['show_unread_replies'], '</a>
';

}

search for the code section below and add the code section above BEFORE this code::

Code:
// Otherwise they're a guest - send them a lovely greating...
    else
        echo $txt['welcome_guest'];
Thanks!  I'll send her this link so she can see it.  Smile
Wait.  Don't send her the link yet.  That code is for 1.1 RC2.  I didn't realize you were using 1.07. I'll see if I can dig up the right code for 1.0x
I just downloaded it this week.  Did I wind up with an old version?

Pages: 1 2