TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Web Design and Carts and Whatever...............
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[quote author=cranky_hippie link=topic=4437.msg17965#msg17965 date=1153265942]

I'm still looking for the fun.  :o
[/quote]

The fun will come when you open your store.  If you need help with anything just let me know.
Cranky, stop complaining and get to work, girl!!! We CAN do this, darn it!!! We WILL  do this!! And it's fun learning new things---you just have to give in and go with the flow!
I won't let you off the hook easily, so dig in! ;D

Just kidding, sort of. But since I talked you in to this, I feel responsible, so I will help you  and when we are done, you will have a fabulous,new website and NO fees! Wink
Quote:I will help you

me too
regic YOU ROCK

OK all of you do but regic, if you EVER need any spare socks.

Please don't hesitate to ask.
they are.. like so yours.

Really great info here guys.

No wonder your #1.
After re reading this here mine shouldn't be that difficult.

This is for anyone who might be doing an xfer:

Make sure you have ALL your files backed up on your computer
or burn it to a CD BEFORE you make the switch.

I imagine the simplest way is to just FTP all your files out
of the old server to a folder on your system.

Then when you get the green light from the TT team and have access,
you can simply FTP your files up to the Tulips servers, pull up your domain
and check to make sure all your pages are loading and all your links are working.

With those using Linkpoint and planing on using your own cart
You have to go into the admin and settings and add the url from your
cart for verification. (If you don't your customers will NOT be able to proceed to the gateway to complete thier purchase.)

(I'm still not sure about the cart thing, but I'll deal with that
later after reading how to configure it with LP's and GP's  API's
and if need be, just keep using Mals until I get that all worked out)

I plan on getting started this week.

Oh sorry about the stupid sock comment regic, just being a wise guy.  :oops:

Two more stupid questions here:

My domain name is registered with Yahoo Website Services
comes up for renewal this month if they have not already renewed it.

Have you ever had problems transferring domains from Yahoo Domains?
(I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not down for like a month due to some
domain snatching issue.)

and

Does this change in pointing the domain to a different server effect SEO negatively?

Tkx again for all your time guys and gals.
Have you ever had problems transferring domains from Yahoo Domains?
(I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not down for like a month due to some
domain snatching issue.)

You have 2 options  with  existing domain names:

1.  Keep your domain at your existing registrar MelbourneIT/Yahoo (Free).*recommended*
All you need to do is go into your Yahoo Domains control panel and change the name servers to ours (ns1.tuliphosting.com, ns2.tuliphosting.com)
Average time for domain to switch over is a few hours after you change the name servers

2. Transfer the domain: i.e. change registrars ($8.99 fee, includes 1 year domain renewal fee)
You would only have to do this if Yahoo doesn't give you a way to change name servers or if Yahoo's annual domain fee  is higher than ours ($8.99) and you want to save money.  Since your domain expires in less than 30 days you might have to renew it at Yahoo before Yahoo would approve the transfer.  If your domain is set to registrar-lock you also need to unlock it so the transfer can take place. Domain transfers can take up to 5 business days.

Does this change in pointing the domain to a different server effect SEO negatively?

There's no effect when you move to a new server as long as you're using the same domain name. 

Quote:Does this change in pointing the domain to a different server effect SEO negatively?

There's no effect when you move to a new server as long as you're using the same domain name.

From what I understand, the only way this might effect your SEO negatively is if you have to recreate your website becuase your currrent host won't give you FTP access. (As in my case). Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't pretend to understand all this stuff.
Quote:From what I understand, the only way this might effect your SEO negatively is if you have to recreate your website becuase your currrent host won't give you FTP access. (As in my case). Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't pretend to understand all this stuff.

If your host didn't give you FTP access and you had to start from scratch on a new site, you could negate any negative effects by using a combination of  mod_rewrite and 301 redirects for any of the old indexed pages that no longer existed on your new site (you could also use Google and Yahoo's cache to retrieve a large portion of the code from your old pages)
Thanks for clearing that up BBH.
I'm ready to move. It's going down in the next few days or so me thinks.
All my files are secured and all my old e mail accounts that helped store some
things as well.

Can't wait but I wish the customers would STOP ordering for a day or so.
I had good sales today and was about to do it when the sales kept coming.

Don't want to loose much sales $$ you know in transition.
I could mirror my site but as soon as I turn it off a the hoo.
I don't think redirects will work.

I did redirects when I went from a FREE site to a paid one some years ago
but when I say bye bye now it will still take them (as they tell me)
up to 24 to 48 hours to process my request.
Pages: 1 2 3