TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: HONEST HELP, PLEASE! I want to create my own site w/o being taken for a ride
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Does anybody know anything about hostmonster? If so, what and how does it's $4.95/mo compare with Shoppal's $14.95/mo.
If you're looking for a free, quick store--why not try eCrater? http://www.ecrater.com
Quote:the Google store using the integrator on my eBay listings?

Can you explain what you mean by this?

With Shoppal you have to buy your own domain name from someone like GoDaddy. The Shoppal boards are very helpful also.

You might like eCrater. It is free. It was too limiting in layout for me.

Kim
[quote author=Alskling link=topic=5485.msg27881#msg27881 date=1161036010]
Does anybody know anything about hostmonster? If so, what and how does it's $4.95/mo compare with Shoppal's $14.95/mo.
[/quote]

HostMonster is a web host.  You'd have to build your own store using a script like osCommerce etc and learn HTML, FTP, etc.

ShopPal/Presto etc. is a hosted shopping cart/website that even the 'computer challenged' can setup easily.
You know, I've thought of eCrater. I'm a great proponent of the KISS principle, which is why I also have a store on HiBidder. But you know, Then, until I really get comfortable with WTF I'm doing that doesn't involve Monster "E", maybe eCrater just might make the most sense. Can I register a domain there? This is a bit of an issue, as there are 2 sellers on eBay who are getting free rides off of me by having nearly identical store IDs. One has a user ID identical to the store ID so his items are showing up instead of mine on the user search, as well. I started selling before stores existed, so my user ID is different from the store ID and he refuses to change his although his store is, for all practical purposes, non-existent.

Yes and no on the ecrater domain question.  You can forward (point or URL Masking) your domain to your ecrater store like you can with an eBay Store but that's not the same as hosting your store on your own domain like you would with a regular website, ShopPal, etc. For SEO purposes using your own site or a hosted cart like ShopPal is better than forwarding.

Quote:Can I use my own domain name?
You can point your existing domain name to your eCRATER store through a forwarding option (offered by your domain provider). You can use URL masking as well.
I think you can--but I'm not positive. Let me look.

The ID I have uses my "storename.ecrater.com"
Quote:Can I use my own domain name?
You can point your existing domain name to your eCRATER store through a forwarding option (offered by your domain provider). You can use URL masking as well.

So, you can use a domain. Register one someplace cheap like 1&1 internet ($4.99 per domain).

Ditto this:
Quote:Yes and no on the ecrater domain question.  You can forward (point or URL Masking) your domain to your ecrater store like you can with an eBay Store but that's not the same as hosting your store on your own domain like you would with a regular website, ShopPal, etc. For SEO purposes using your own site or a hosted cart like ShopPal is better than forwarding.

Your domain name will call up your eCrater store, but it's a case of domain forwarding, not hosting. The customer won't really notice the difference. The address will still take them to your store, but your store is hosted by eCrater.
I appreciate all the info. Guess, I'll just need to research my options a bit more, but at least I have a semblance of a point of reference, whereas before I started this thread I was simply overwhelmed and felt like I was drowning in cyber-speak and hype.

You'll probably hear from me again before I do anything life-threatening. And if anything comes to mind that you think might help me hone in on the best option, don't hesitate to chime in. I very much like what Shoppal has to offer, as it seems it encompasses most of what I would like to do with my store, I just have to be convinced that the $15/mo plus the domaine registration is a worthwhile expense. I'd like to hear from some folks with eBay stores out there who also have stores using eCrater and Shoppal. How long? How are sales comparing one to the other? Do you have to do much in terms of promotion? I want everything to be as self-contained as possible and self-regulating, but I want to establish my own identity as well.
Thanks.
Quote:I'd like to hear from some folks with eBay stores out there who also have stores using eCrater and Shoppal. How long? How are sales comparing one to the other?

I've had my web site for almost 6 months. I'm putting all my efforts into it. I sold over 3 times as much from my web site as I did in my eBay store over the last 30 days. Sales are increasing each month. I've saved A LOT in eBay fees.

The web site is the way to go, but you do have to have help from your friends (i.e. the folks here Transport012 ) to hit the ground running Confusedmileydog: . It helps with the learning curve. Kim
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6