TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: HONEST HELP, PLEASE! I want to create my own site w/o being taken for a ride
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Damn. And I had two cases of Virgin Mary grilled cheese sandwiches. Guess I won't be closing my eBay store any time soon.

BBH: I can't say any of those codes mean anything more than Zulu and Yoda, but I'll keep them in case some day they do mean something.

So, in plain English (you know, that archaic language that some folks used when they colonized New England): If I put the url of my eBay store (for example), and follow it with the html code I get when I upload my logo into Auctiva (that's if I take my logo and save it in my computer as a jif file), followed by [/img][/url] at the end, I should have a clickable siggie? 

Quote:BBH: I can't say any of those codes mean anything more than Zulu and Yoda, but I'll keep them in case some day they do mean something.

So, in plain English (you know, that archaic language that some folks used when they colonized New England)

Happy001 Happy001 Happy001

It only takes a few minutes to do a little reading on what html (computer language) is, and how it works.  There are also copy and paste sites that give the html and you just fill in the blanks with your own personal info or text.  Beginning html really is very simple when you understand the principle behind it. You can learn a lot really fast, and beginning, basic html is so easy that you'll wonder why you never learned it before now.  REALLY !!  *I* don't know much above the basics, and I will soon have to learn the next step up, and maybe even beyond that.  Still, copy/paste/fill in the blanks to get what you want works wonders -- even if you don't understand it all.

Alskling and I are going to get along just fine, methinks.  When it comes to html and computers, it's always gratifying to know there's someone who's actually a bit dummer than me in this regard...  Smile
Askling,

If you are planning to stay on the web and don't care to hire a designer, etc., you will sooner or later need to learn enough to at least get by. Yucky as it seems, it will make you feel far more empowered eventually. Smile

HTML is very simple-------it just looks confusing. I taught myself, Cranky is teaching herself. And yes, the people here are more than generous with their help/support, but in the end, it's really up to us to get it done. :blinkie:

The link below is to a site which offers free tutorials on HTML, CSS, etc.. It is the best site for that purpose that I have come across.

http://www.w3schools.com/

The next link is to the same site, but directly to a tutorial on linking.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_links.asp

http://www.eobcards.com/tutorial3.htm

One of the best.  I use it all the time when doing something new on a listing.
Lots of us here can help.
[quote author=thentavius link=topic=5485.msg28148#msg28148 date=1161207806]
Lots of us here can help.
[/quote]

And some of us here NEED help...speaking for myself, of course.  Wink

Big Grin Big Grin
"I am of the thinking that you must SHOW the new owner how to operate the site
so they don't NEED to pay someone else's every time they want to make a change,
add a product or do anything to the site."

I agree with this whole heartedly and it is one of the things that I am trying to accomplish for the band that I represent.

With BBH's help I have moved their site to Tulip Hosting and have saved them $15 monthly just by doing that. Now I am trying to figure out the best CMS for them so that they can maintain their own site. None of them, including me know HTML or PHP. Heck I don't even know how to load music files for them so their potential customers can listen to some samples of their music to help them decide if they want to buy their CDs, but I am learning.

If I can do this so can you.
I just wanted to thank everyone for their time and advice. You really stuffed my plate full and for a while I did have a pretty bad case of indigestion, but now that I've had a chance to assimilate some of the info, I have honed in on a plan of action.

Shoppal, TT, Shopify, eCrater -- all have their pluses and minuses, and not any one venue or host will fit all circumstances. The underlying, prevailing theme I did get from most of you was that creating an independent store is not an endeavor to be done on a whim. It's a long-term commitment requiring a good deal of time, effort and planning, even for the most rudimentary effort. I decided it best to wait it out until after the new year, when I can be better focused at doing a job I can be proud of. Doing it now would be taking time away from doing what I really need to do now, which is capture the holiday traffic. It pains me to give that business (and money) to eBay, but it won't be forever, hopefully.

I'm sure as I ponder everything over in the next couple months, do more research and weigh the options, I'll be bombarding you all with more questions and pleas for advice. I hope you don't mind.

DB
Quote:I decided it best to wait it out until after the new year, when I can be better focused at doing a job I can be proud of. Doing it now would be taking time away from doing what I really need to do now, which is capture the holiday traffic.

Waiting until after the holidays is a good idea.  Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6