TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Computer has problem booting up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a question...

My sister's computer had a problem booting up.  It would and then it wouldn't.  Eventually, she would be able to use it.  She took it to a computer fix it shop and they told her that her motherboard was fried.  If her motherboard was fried... wouldn't it not work at all?
We want to puttz with it and see if we can get it working just for the heck of it.  What part would you replace first?  Motherboard, powersupply, hard drive...
I'd replace the boot. You may want to try those high heeled leather ones that lace up to the calf.
The motherboard.
I'd try the hard disk first... why?

It's the easiest module to replace, it's relatively cheap (you can try a HDD out of a working machine), and it's the most prone for failure.

I'm assuming you're running a version of Windows... so, data corruption in the Windows registry (and other areas) can cause intermittent boot failures.

If it occasionally boots up, then I would disagree that the motherboard is "fried" as the repair shop indicated.  Granted, motherboards can have faults that are thermal related... namely system ram, nvram, and the cmos are sensitive to environmental conditions... but generally, when they fail, they fail HARD.

When the boot process fails, how far along does it get and what indicates that it has failed?

I loooooove 'puters....   Violent1

OH.... thanks bell... You've just given my subconscious material for my next bad dream!

Tongue2

Thanks all for your computer input.
I think I'll go for the hard drive.  It is cheap and I already know how to do that!!
Quote:I thought you got a hold of a XPP home video...
  Lol

Umm try the obvious first.

We built my son a new one a few months ago all new everything.
About a week later he had problems like you described.

The plug from the Hard Drive that goes to the computer mother board to the IDE socket
(on the board) was loose.

Always check the obvious first... loose wires bad switch, stuff like that.
What is obvious to you... isn't to me.  lol  If she gets her computer back in the same condition she dropped it off, we will give your (xpp) suggestion a shot. 

I've upgraded and replaced parts on my computers over the years.  I enjoy learning.  Since my sister is willing to let me at her computer...

I started a rambling type thread on the Stores Board.  Maybe it will bring back some of the fun "oldies" and new people also.  I miss people with intelligence AND a sense of humor.
Hey, if Tom can have his cheerleading one, I can have a RR one.   Tongue
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?t...2000231723

edited:  I think I will do the self report thingy to my eBay post... since I can't spell!  Thanks Jen.  Smile

edited again:  Changed link
Over the years I've build several computers and held some together with duct tape.
(A rednecks cure all for anything broken) Laughing7

I've encountered things that were not in the pci slots all the way.
Loose plugs, dust clogged heat sync blocks. My last sytems on off swith went bad and I bared the wires and jump started the thing for like three months.
I even pulled on of those things out
of a fan one time that Bell post a little earlier.  :blinkie:

The worst I've ever encountered was when a cousin brought over her pute for a look see.

The damn thing was full of roaches and I don't mean the "smokeable" kind.

It is fun to tinker with them computers isn't it?

FG has some good suggestions too about over heats and stuff.
One of mine kept shutting down because of a thermal related protection program. :Smile
Roaches!  Ewwwwwwww NASTY!
Cat fur LOVES computers.  I swear my fan sucks rather then blows.  ;D
[quote author=xppman link=topic=2527.msg25436#msg25436 date=1159555602]

One of mine kept shutting down because of a thermal related protection program. :Smile
[/quote]

Well, that's one way to keep people from flaming.
Pages: 1 2