TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Newbie Wanting a Webstore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=6396.msg38369#msg38369 date=1167333913]
[quote author=Kristijntje link=topic=6396.msg38367#msg38367 date=1167333492]
Quote:The last time I looked, PSU used Zen carts.

PSU Stores use Joomla (cms)/VirtueMart (cart).
[/quote]

Thanks, Kristijntje.  Is Joomla easy for beginners, do you know?
[/quote]

Bell,

I've been screwing around with Joomla for a couple of days now. It's REALLY easy. It's cool, too. It seems like it's easy to get the hang of it (not unlike a really dynamic blog)--but it still has room for one to grow into a Joomla Master, grasshopper.

8)

p.s. I've mentioned "screw" twice in the same thread.  ???
Quote:p.s. I've mentioned "screw" twice in the same thread.  Huh

Violent1

Happy001
I guess we can all see where my mind is today.  Headbang  La
[quote author=Kristijntje link=topic=6396.msg38367#msg38367 date=1167333492]

PSU Stores use Joomla (cms)/VirtueMart (cart).
[/quote]

If you want a "PSU Store" without paying $9.95 monthly, you can download one (Joomla E-commerce edition w/Virtuemart) for free and install it on any cheaper hosting account. Smile

download: http://virtuemart.net/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=244

the VirtueMart home page: http://virtuemart.net/
[quote author=regic link=topic=6396.msg38462#msg38462 date=1167410796]
If you want a "PSU Store" without paying $9.95 monthly, you can download one (Joomla E-commerce edition w/Virtuemart) for free and install it on any cheaper hosting account. Smile

download: http://virtuemart.net/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=244

the VirtueMart home page: http://virtuemart.net/
[/quote]

Hum.  I was looking at the $4.99/mo hosting plan Tulip offers for my other site (I just saw the ad, I didn't read into it).  My problem is I know NOTHING about this stuff.  How much space would I need and is it easy to set up the hosting if I did want to download the free one and use Tuliphosting for example?  I don't know anything about scripts or any of that.   :oops:

edited to add: of course you have to pay for this $4.99/mo annually. Sad  I don't want to lock into a commitment like that when I really have no freakin clue what I'm doing.  Not that the money wouldn't be well spent because it would, but I just want to make sure... ya know???

Edited again:  I have one site that I want to use to kinda describe me, link to my ebay store and ecrater store (and any other free venue if I choose that too), plus my webstore, and possibly a blog?, then my other site will be my webstore.  I should specify that by site I mean domain, as I have 2 domains registered.  Thanks for helping the newbie!
The basic TH package should have plenty of room for you.
Quote:I should specify that by site I mean domain, as I have 2 domains registered.
For 2 domains, the $4.99 plan. If you only had 1 domain the $3.79.

Quote:if I did want to download the free one...  I don't know anything about scripts or any of that.

The one advantage that PSU Stores would have over installing Joomla/Virtuemart yourself is that they do the upgrades/security fixes when they're released.  If you install it yourself you'll have to install your own upgrades/security fixes...and Joomla does issue fairly frequent security patches.  They're really not hard to install, but if you've never done it the first time would be a learning experience...might cause you to rip chunks of hair out...scream, etc.

One of the main advantages of any hosted cart, whether it's PSU or ShopPal or Monster, is that they do all of the upgrades/security patches.
If that's all I have to worry about, I'm sure I can figure it out with some help how to upgrade the security stuff.  Right?
[quote author=princessmirandajo link=topic=6396.msg38689#msg38689 date=1167584693]
If that's all I have to worry about, I'm sure I can figure it out with some help how to upgrade the security stuff.  Right?
[/quote]

The upgrades/security fixes on most programs are usually easy to add and come with detailed upgrade instructions so you shouldn't have any problems.

If you've added lots of modifications then upgrades can be more difficult but you can always find the answer and help by asking questions either here or on the software maker's own forums.
If y'all are sure that the $4.99/2 domains/month will be enough, then as soon as I get to my home PC (prolly Wed) I will get a going on paying for tuliphosting, etc.  I probably will dl the free ecommerce of joomla then and can I count on y'all helping me?  I realize it will take me awhile to get set up but I'm ok with that.

Thank you so much all!
Pages: 1 2 3 4