TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: having a dilemma :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, after all this nitpicking about the way I do business, I took a good, hard look at my eBay finances.  Fact is, eBay takes half my profit which makes the leftovers awfully dismal for the hours I put in.  The other side of that, is I start school tomorrow (yeah on a Saturday lol) and I am taking 3 classes this semester.  And my webstore has kinda come to a halt because I can't figure out this dang shipping module.

My problem is I start a billion projects and love them all, and end up being spread too thin.  But I can't not have a store, because A) I have too much inventory lol and B) I've grown accustomed to bringing it a little bit of money into the home and C) it makes me feel like I'm more than just a mom and a student. 

So, my thoughts are pretty simple.  Focus on eCrater and getting my webstore up and maybe just running some auctions on eBay?  I really want to learn PHP too, but I don't know where and if it's very involved, will I have the time?

My heart is breaking to think of closing my eBay store.  :'(

Advice?
Quote:My problem is I start a billion projects and love them all, and end up being spread too thin.

Rule #1: Avoid spreading yourself too thin.

Quote:Focus on eCrater and getting my webstore up and maybe just running some auctions on eBay?

If you feel your eBay profits aren't enough for the amount of hours you put into it then concentrate on your Ecrater store and website and run a few auctions on eBay.
[quote author=amy link=topic=6627.msg40251#msg40251 date=1168652842]

Quote:Focus on eCrater and getting my webstore up and maybe just running some auctions on eBay?

If you feel your eBay profits aren't enough for the amount of hours you put into it then concentrate on your Ecrater store and website and run a few auctions on eBay.
[/quote]

I feel like a complete dummy.  I am intelligent and usually grasp things quickly but for some reason, I'm having a lot of trouble getting my webstore up.  I just quick looked at hosted carts, but that's a waste, cuz it'll cost me another $25/mo and I already have the hosting here!

The virtuemart forums seem like they are dead too, so that doesn't really help.  I've tutorialed and read what I can but it makes no sense to me.  Sigh.
Quote:I can't figure out this dang shipping module.

What part are you having trouble with?
[quote author=regic link=topic=6627.msg40258#msg40258 date=1168655107]
Quote:I can't figure out this dang shipping module.

What part are you having trouble with?

[/quote]

I can't find a tutorial.  I was going to use a simple USPS based but it appears you have to have a login, and I have no idea where to do that at to make it work with virtumart.

Basically, lol, my problem is everything.  I am stuck at categories.  I did get my categories up, I need to set up payment and shipping and I want to do it right but there are no tutorials anywhere and the virtumart forum is like a ghosttown.  Maybe I went with the wrong cart.. ?
now I hate to toot the horn of a designer Occasion18
but this is why sometimes, hiring it done, is sometimes better.

I have not dug into setting up a joomla store yet, so I wish I could help.
[quote author=WebGraphicsSource link=topic=6627.msg40261#msg40261 date=1168658690]
now I hate to toot the horn of a designer Occasion18
but this is why sometimes, hiring it done, is sometimes better.

I have not dug into setting up a joomla store yet, so I wish I could help.
[/quote]

Hire someone to set up my shipping and payment options?

The design part I can handle, lol.
um, I really think I missed something here.  Seems like everytime I think I found an answer to my questions, it tells me to use PHP.  I guess I just thought it would be like writing my descriptions and images and uploading the stuff.  I understand I am going to have to do a little more work than I did on eBay, and I really want to learn PHP but I'd like to get my store at least live before I open another project.  So, can I not do this without knowledge of PHP?
Like I said, I have not looked at the joomla cart.  So I do not know if there is bugs in the script etc, so it might not be a php programming problem

What I meant by hiring it done sometimes, is it is up to the designer/programmer to get everything done for you, and you would have to do is upload products.
[quote author=WebGraphicsSource link=topic=6627.msg40264#msg40264 date=1168659153]
Like I said, I have not looked at the joomla cart.  So I do not know if there is bugs in the script etc, so it might not be a php programming problem

What I meant by hiring it done sometimes, is it is up to the designer/programmer to get everything done for you, and you would have to do is upload products.
[/quote]

Is there a different cart that might be more suited to my immediate needs without going to a hosted cart?  I have paid for the tuliphosting for a year so I intend to use it.  And I CAN do this, but timing might be a problem if I have to learn a language before I can get my store going.  :blinkie:
Pages: 1 2