TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay rewrites its Safe Payment Policy and officially Bans Google Checkout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
eBay is just looking out for the users best interest... keeping it a safe place to shop.  ROTFLMAO!!!

edited to add link to SB:  http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?t...2000173558
ChannelAdvisor's CEO Scott Wingo blasts eBay's policy rewrite:

Quote:eBay has updated it's "Safe Payments Policy" to specifically NOT allow Google Checkout.  I suspect sellers (especially multichannel) will be pretty upset about this.

It will be interesting to see what lame excuse eBay uses to justify this.  For example, they will probably say it's new so prone to fraud.  Well, in reality it's a credit card gateway (and the same one eBay spends millions with as the top google adwords user) and credit cards are specifically allowed along with gateways (verisign/cybersource/authorize.net, etc.)

This is eBay flexing their trust and safety muscles to control the way sellers take credit cards (and as a side-effect, limit their leverage with Google Adwords) if they feel it starts to infringe on the PayPal asset.

It's ironic they would do this here, and in the same breath go to Congress and fight the Net Neutrality battle.

You can't fight for an open internet one day and then implement policies that close the walled garden the next.

Coffee - eBay please wake up and smell it.  Trust and Safety is running (and ruining) your company.

http://ebaystrategies.blogs.com/ebay_str...googl.html
One day after implementing changes to its Accepted Payments Policy--and after the changes had already been noted in the press, eBay issues an announcement but is careful not to mention the word 'Google'  :Smile   Bobby Chestnut also doesn't mention that the only reason eBay introduced the Safe Payments policy last fall was because the rumors of a Google payment service had it wombat poo pooting in its pants. Smile

Quote:***Policy Clarification: Accepted Payments Policy*** 

July 06, 2006 | 09:56AM PST/PT

Hi, I'm Rob Chesnut, head of eBay's global Trust & Safety organization. Completing a transaction with an appropriate, safe and convenient payment method is an important part of trading on eBay. While many of the payment methods offered by eBay sellers offer a high degree of safety and convenience, a few simply are not appropriate for the eBay marketplace. So last October, we introduced a global payments policy and -- in response to requests from the Community -- began a comprehensive evaluation of dozens of payment methods to determine which made sense for use on eBay.

Following this review, we've updated the policy to identify those payment methods that we've determined are not appropriate for the eBay marketplace. Please note that eBay's evaluation relates only to whether a particular service is appropriate for the eBay marketplace. These payment methods may, in fact, be useful services for consumers in other contexts.

The policy clarification also specifies the payment methods that are permitted on eBay.

If you would like to read more about the Accepted Payments Policy, please click here.

Sincerely,
Rob Chesnut
Senior Vice President, Trust & Safety

Now that PayPal owns the Verisign gateway, I wonder if at some future date the Authorize.net, LinkPoint, and CyberSource gateways will also become unacceptable for those with merchant accounts to use on eBay?  Tongue
I dare the boinktards to try stopping me from offering this unacceptable payment method in my third party checkout. Fluck
Aren't you glad they are "just a venue"  :Smile  Wink

Angel  Angel7
[quote author=amy link=topic=4241.msg17194#msg17194 date=1152214660]
Now that PayPal owns the Verisign gateway, I wonder if at some future date the Authorize.net, LinkPoint, and CyberSource gateways will also become unacceptable for those with merchant accounts to use on eBay?  Tongue
[/quote]

Cardserviceinternational.com isn't allowed.  They own LinkPoint.

CCAvenue is a gateway too.
Quote:Cardserviceinternational.com isn't allowed.  They own LinkPoint.

:blinkie: :blinkie: :blinkie:
Apparently PayPal's acquisition of the Verisign gateway isn't doing too well either.

CardServiceInternational owns and operates the Linkpoint gateway which is one of the largest merchant account gateways and is one of Verisign's 3 biggest competitors.

So eBay is not only banning people from using competing payment services like Google Checkout, they are also banning many people with merchant accounts from using them on eBay.
With transparent motives of rushed out policies like this.
They are not only grasping at straws.

They're grasping at lifeboats that have long set sail away from the sinking ship.

[Image: ebaysinking.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6