TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay rewrites its Safe Payment Policy and officially Bans Google Checkout
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hi all!  I've been a lurker for quite some time and finally decided to come out and play.  Wave

[quote author=xppman link=topic=4241.msg17237#msg17237 date=1152292366]
What about this whole cardserviceintl thing?

Wonder if Card knows ebay is claiming they are "unsafe"?
[/quote]

I contacted them yesterday as soon as the policy came out.  I have my merchant account through CSI and told them I was "very concerned that eBay said they weren't a safe payment service."    :twistedevil:

I received a reply back within just a few hours from the Director of Sales who said, "I will check into the Ebay situation."  Then he proceeded to reassure me of just how safe they are and explained eBay's motives to me.  LOL

Hopefully I'm not the only one who contacted them.  Smile

Hi RiverRat  Smileywelcome

Channel Advisor's Scott Wingo continues his rant against the Google Checkout ban  Smile

Quote:point: Google Checkout is a new payment system (a week is Durzy's favorite quote du jour) and could have risks.

counterpoint(s):

1. Repeat after me:  Google Checkout is NOT a payment system.  It is a credit card gateway married with a slick wallet and purchase portal.  eBay allows tons of credit card gateways - at ChannelAdvisor we support verisign, optimal payments, Authorize.net, cybersource, etc.
   2. There is a well documented precedent that destroys the "new payment" argument eBay is using here: Bidpay.  Bidpay started life as a buyer-funded service that allowed a consumer to enter a credit card and have a money order sent to the seller.  Western union acquired the service and shut it down earlier this year.  Cybersource acquired the service and then re-launched it with a completely different business model on June 14th.  Guess what, two weeks later it appears on the eBay safe payment model as approved.  This is a two week old payment system using eBay's definitions.
   3. As the Google quote points out - this is Google.  They have processed billions of payments (many of them from eBay themselves - eBay do you realize you are a user of the system you are condemning?) and are standing 100% behind this in fact it is not a BETA. 

full article: http://ebaystrategies.blogs.com/ebay_str...ogl_1.html
Patrice mentioned on the Stores Board that PayPal isn't listed as one of the accepted safe payments.  ROTFLMAO!!!!!
[quote author=Anita link=topic=4241.msg17296#msg17296 date=1152425985]
Patrice mentioned on the Stores Board that PayPal isn't listed as one of the accepted safe payments.  ROTFLMAO!!!!!
[/quote]

PayPal isn't on the accepted safe payment list of over 95% of my credit card carrying buyers either.  ;D
Another change to eBay's payment policy.  eBay owned Billpoint.com, which closed in early 2003, has been added to the banned list in the UK. Billpoint isn't listed on the US policy.

Interestingly, the billpoint.com domain currently resolves to paypal.com 2funny

ebay.co.uk as of 7/10/2006 Wrote:Payment Services permitted on eBay: Allpay.net, Bidpay, Canadian Tire Money, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Moneybookers.com, Ozpay.biz, Paymate.com.au, Propay.com, XOOM

Payment Services not permitted on eBay: AlertPay.com, anypay.com, AuctionChex.com, AuctionPix.com, Billpay, i.e., Billpoint.com, ecount.com, cardserviceinternational.com, CCAvenue, ecount, e-gold, eHotPay.com, ePassporte.com, EuroGiro, FastCash.com, Google Checkout, gcash, GearPay, Goldmoney.com, graphcard.com, greenzap.com, ikobo.com, Liberty Dollars, Moneygram.com, neteller.com, Netpay.com, Nochex.com, Payko.com, paychest.com, payingfast.com, paypay, Postepay, Qchex.com, rupay.com, scripophily.com, sendmoneyorder.com, stamps, Stormpay, wmtransfer.com, xcoin.com.
Quote:Interestingly, the billpoint.com domain currently resolves to paypal.com

Boinktard  Happy001
[quote author=regic link=topic=4241.msg17441#msg17441 date=1152589421]
Another change to eBay's payment policy.  eBay owned Billpoint.com, which closed in early 2003, has been added to the banned list in the UK. Billpoint isn't listed on the US policy.

Interestingly, the billpoint.com domain currently resolves to paypal.com 2funny

ebay.co.uk as of 7/10/2006 Wrote:Payment Services permitted on eBay: Allpay.net, Bidpay, Canadian Tire Money, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Moneybookers.com, Ozpay.biz, Paymate.com.au, Propay.com, XOOM

Payment Services not permitted on eBay: AlertPay.com, anypay.com, AuctionChex.com, AuctionPix.com, Billpay, i.e., Billpoint.com, ecount.com, cardserviceinternational.com, CCAvenue, ecount, e-gold, eHotPay.com, ePassporte.com, EuroGiro, FastCash.com, Google Checkout, gcash, GearPay, Goldmoney.com, graphcard.com, greenzap.com, ikobo.com, Liberty Dollars, Moneygram.com, neteller.com, Netpay.com, Nochex.com, Payko.com, paychest.com, payingfast.com, paypay, Postepay, Qchex.com, rupay.com, scripophily.com, sendmoneyorder.com, stamps, Stormpay, wmtransfer.com, xcoin.com.
[/quote]

Hard to believe a company so stooooopid has any cheerleaders at all!!!
Quote:Another change to eBay's payment policy.  eBay owned Billpoint.com, which closed in early 2003, has been added to the banned list in the UK. Billpoint isn't listed on the US policy.

Interestingly, the billpoint.com domain currently resolves to paypal.com

That is definitely one of eBay's most humorous boinkups.  :Smile
Commentary on eBay's Google Checkout ban:

Quote:If eBay is steering people to PayPal to protect its own interests, it will backfire with poor customer loyalty.

eBay should also heed Google's global presence. It's everywhere. eBay and PayPal operate in several countries too but PayPal in particular receives much less attention than Google. Google could win the payments war if eBay wants to go head-to-head, so perhaps the online auctioneer should find ways of working with the search company...
Quote:...taking on Google will be tough even for a more established player such as eBay. We just hope both sides stay mindful of the reason they became the giants they are in the first place - the affection and loyalty of their customers.

full article: http://www.silicon.com/financialservices...215,00.htm
More eBay safe payment policy errors:

Quote:eBay added Scripophily.com on its list of banned online payment services last week..,

"Our company, Scripophily.com, buys and sells collectible stock and bond certificates and I have no idea why eBay listed our company here. If we sell something on eBay, we accept credit cards over the phone, checks, Paypal and credit cards on our website, that's it."

He said he spent a week trying to get a response from someone at eBay. On July 10, he said Sarah Brubaker, calling herself a senior policy representative of eBay, contacted him and told him Scripophily.com was on the list because "one eBay member said they use the Scripophily.com checkout system" in his or her listing, Kerstein said. Brubaker promised to take his company off the list, he said, but it was still up on Tuesday evening...

full article: http://auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y06/m07/i12/s01
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6