TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Smut spam mail from this site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
[quote author=stardust link=topic=4703.msg20308#msg20308 date=1155171697]
Everybody gets email notices that there's a *new* pm message on TT.  Of COURSE it's in your email!  Big Grin
[/quote]

There's a place to check if you want to receive it at your email addy.
In your profile, go to: Personal Message Options
Then go here:Notify by email every time you receive a personal message:

There is a drop-down box below that and it allows you to select your notification prefs. Smile
That person is now banned.  This is the second forum of ours he's hit this week He used the name Brad Gibson on another forum. Same message sent through the personal message system to all users on both sites. 

I looked at our log files and it looks like he has an automated script that he programmed to send the PMs.  The script apparently seeks out the member list page on forums and then sends PMs to every name on the list. He sent over 200 PMs in less than 4 minutes.

I'll check the simple machines support forum later to see if any other forums have had the same problem.

Quote:You probably got it at home also because when you completed the preferences on your profile, you checked off to receive notification of new pm's. That means you will also receive the full pm at home.

The forum software (Simple Machines Forum - SMF) sends the full text of personal messages by email when it sends PM or post notifications.  The default setting is to receive notifications of PMs but the setting can be changed in your profile.
EDIT: definitely an automated program.  The spammer sent himself a PM too.  :Smile
thanks, Regic. Well, we all got a giggle out of it, except for Kirk, lol. ;D
Welcome to TT Ms Molly. Love your avatar.
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=4703.msg20314#msg20314 date=1155173821]
[/quote]

I didn't because when the forum sends PM/post notification emails the forum's main email address is listed on the from section.  Angryfire
[quote author=regic link=topic=4703.msg20317#msg20317 date=1155174332]
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=4703.msg20314#msg20314 date=1155173821]
[/quote]

I didn't because when the forum sends PM/post notification emails the forum's main email address is listed on the from section.  Angryfire
[/quote]

:blinkie:
Apparently we were lucky.  Other forums had this bot PM every member and post the same message/photo in every thread.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/...#msg667487
OK, everyone who received the PM and didn't delete it go check your PM box.  The message should be gone now.  I just ran a script to remove all PMs sent by that user.
[quote author=regic link=topic=4703.msg20320#msg20320 date=1155175600]
OK, everyone who received the PM and didn't delete it go check your PM box.  The message should be gone now.  I just ran a script to remove all PMs sent by that user.
[/quote]

Yep, mines gone :o
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5