TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Installation of X-Cart
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quote:Before I did the install, though, I bought my SSL certificate and got it all worked out and set up with the dedicated IP address and such on the server.

I haven't bought the SSL yet. Thought I'd wait until I actually am ready to open. Is that stupid?

Quote:I followed these instructions and had no issues:

Happy001

Clearly you are more tech savvy than I am, Thentavius. Tard  All of that is Greek to me-----I understand nothing, zero, lol. Smileyyellowbang

That's okay. Someone will be along to help.

PS// What's a "tar" file?
Quote:I haven't bought the SSL yet. Thought I'd wait until I actually am ready to open. Is that stupid?

Buy the SSL before you install.
[quote author=regic link=topic=6578.msg39825#msg39825 date=1168284838]
Quote:I haven't bought the SSL yet. Thought I'd wait until I actually am ready to open. Is that stupid?

Buy the SSL before you install.
[/quote]

Okay, going to go do it. Thumbsup
Regic, Commodo is asking for the name of the server software used to generate the CSR---I don't know what it is. Tard
apache/linux
[quote author=regic link=topic=6578.msg39829#msg39829 date=1168285753]
apache/linux
[/quote]

They give me 2 Apache choices:
  Apache_ModSSL or
Apache-SSL (Ben-SSL, not Stronghold)
OK. Let me do some translation. Regic can correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:1.  Ensure that your server meets the minimum requirements.

If you're using TH, everything already meets the requirements.

Quote:2.  Uncompress  the  module  distribution  and upload the files into the X-Cart

Unzip / uncompress the X-Cart version of your choice. I chose 4.0.19 because it was more stable than 4.1. Just unzip the thing into a folder on your hard drive.

Once it's unzipped, upload everything that came out of the distributive folder and just upload it all to the same directory on your site. I named mine "xcart." LOL.

Quote:3.  Go to the X-Cart installation directory and change file access permissions.
    On Unix-based server  with terminal  access to it  you can do it  using the
    following commands:

If you're using TH, you can change the file permissions through the File Manager easily. Or, if you're using an FTP prgoram, try right-clicking on the items they ask you to change, and change the chmod to match what they say.

In TulipHosting's File Manager, simply checkmark the check box next to the file you want to change and look at the upper right hand part of the file manager area. There's a drop-down box that reads "permissions" and you can choose the number you want to change the file to from that list. Then hit "change."

Quote: > cd xcart
  > chmod 777 .
    > chmod 666 config.php
  > chmod 755 admin/spam.sh
  > chmod 755 payment/*.pl

Some of these may already be set correctly, anyway.

Quote:4.  Open in your browser X-Cart Installation Wizard at the following URL:

http://www.yoursite.com/x...art_directory/install.php

Just change the yoursite.com to your site addy (obviously), and the "xcart_directory" to whatever you named the folder that you uploaded all of the unzipped stuff into. Then call up the addy in your browser.

You'll be asked to follow on-screen instructions to get the thing up and running. They will ask for all of the info about the MySQL server you've made (including host name, database name, etc.), and they will ask you other details that should be pretty easy to answer. When you're all done with the on-screen instructions, it will generate the site with test products (if you asked it to add example products).

Quote:    Then follow the instructions provided by the Installation Wizard.

5.  Finally you should setup proper permissions  to protect files from writing.

You should also:
  Modify install.php by setting $installation_auth_code variable if you
  will be using it in the future. This will prevent from unauthorized access.
    On Unix-based server with terminal access to it  you can do it
    using the following commands:

> chmod 644 config.php
  > chmod 755 .

Changing the chmods at the end just keep people from screwing with some of the files. It makes them essentially read only, not executable.
Okay, that makes more sense! *breathing a sigh of relief* 

A couple of questions though.

1. Did you use  Apache_ModSSL or Apache-SSL (Ben-SSL, not Stronghold) when generating your SSL cert?

2.What do the file permissions need to be set to?
mod_ssl Did you generate the CSR yet?

Quote:2.What do the file permissions need to be set to?

The only file and directory permissions you should have to change are the files Thentavius posted.
Quote:1. Did you use  Apache_ModSSL or Apache-SSL (Ben-SSL, not Stronghold) when generating your SSL cert?

I think I chose Apache Mod, but better wait for regic's suggestion.

Quote:2.What do the file permissions need to be set to?

On the distributive files? I just used what they told me (above).

Or on the SLL cert? The cert doesn't need file permission setting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6