TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: New Safe Payment Policy: eBay Bans Many 3rd Party Non PayPal Payment Processors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I'm surprised they left Bidpay on the ok list.  Seems to me they often say not to use bidpay since it's not safe for buyers like PP is.
[quote author=iron_chick link=topic=829.msg3222#msg3222 date=1129567755]

I thought eBay was "just a venue"??
[/quote]

Its only "just a venue" when eBay is trying to avoid potential liability for something, otherwise it considers itself an online retailer.
[quote author=mandy link=topic=829.msg3114#msg3114 date=1129387428]
Some Banned payment methods:

Cash

Moneygram money transfers
Western Union money transfers

Moneybookers
iKobo
PPPay.com Instant
StormPay

e-Gold
Greenzap

other 3rd party payment processors not specifically listed in the new policy

[/quote]

Mandy, where did you find that list of unapproved processors? Isn't that pretty much EVERY other online payment service? Bleh.

All I saw was this frightful quote, which is wonderfully open to interpretation and reinvention:

Quote:Not permitted on eBay.com: Sellers may not solicit buyers to mail cash. Sellers may not ask buyers to send cash through instant cash transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) such as Western Union or Moneygram. Finally, sellers may not request payment through online payment services not listed in this policy.
I can see some ANTI TRUST suits coming soon to feebay by some of these services.
Or better yet the DOJ.
Unless of course Goggle gets here quick.
Then no one will care, because all that will be left "over there" will be a few diehards who like to work for next to nothing. I see it coming and I think so does ebays head people.
That is why they are diversifying so rapidly.
They see the future and their traditional revenue streams being depleted in that future as well.
Auctionbytes editorial: Editorial: Is eBay's New Payment Policy about Safety or Competition?

Quote:...While eBay maintains that transactions are between buyers and sellers, and does not get involved in disputes or fraudulent transactions, it is now limiting payment services that sellers can accept. An AuctionBytes reader wrote, "Does dictating payment forms cross over the line if eBay is just a venue?"

...Even if eBay were to allow sellers to offer a Google payment service, it still controls access to those sellers. eBay has banned competitors from exhibiting at its annual conference; would it really allow Google to set up a booth in Las Vegas next year, perhaps next to PayPal's booth? And it's extremely unlikely eBay would integrate a Google payment service into its site as it has with its own PayPal service.

...eBay is entering territory that makes it more vulnerable to accusations of antitrust behavior with its new Safe Payments policy
http://auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y05/m10/i19/s00
eBay has been violating anti trust laws for some time now. ImO
It all started long ago and with the purchase of PP it excelerated.
And there are SEVERAL other instances whereas they do it to all it's customers.
You and me. All the time.

[quote author=midori_meadows link=topic=829.msg3230#msg3230 date=1129576364]
I'm surprised they left Bidpay on the ok list.  Seems to me they often say not to use bidpay since it's not safe for buyers like PP is.[/quote]
BidPay is expensive for buyers, and not that many use it because of that.  So I would guess that feebay deems it to be pretty safe, and not much of a competitor.  I've never had anyone use it for purchases.

I rather think that ebay's lawyers know exactly what they're doing.  You can better believe they have some of the smartest *and highest paid* attorneys available regarding corporate law -- and commerce law -- and international law -- and banking law -- onandonadnauseum, and won't make a move without knowing full well what they're stepping into, or what they can for sure get away with.
Sorry, but I can't imagine eBay paying big bucks for smart or otherwise attorneys.  I think eBay probably goes to the library and uses those do it yourself forms.
A person is asking on the Stores Board what the difference is between Amazon offering Amazon payments only and eBay pushing PayPal...

Sick 'em Todd and/or Amy!

smorgasboardofgames  (1769 )  View Listings | Report  Oct-20-05 10:07 PDT  3 of 3 
Amazon limits payments in their MarketPlace to Amazon-only payments since they started it. What's the diff?

What will be needed is another large-size lawsuit to determine what the "limits" are to be called "only a venue". How much "interference" in the process does there need to be before you are no longer a "venue only"?

Unfortunately, the courts have seen fit in many of these types of cases to not hold any of these companies responsible ... this goes beyond eBay to simple things like your ISP. 

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?t...2000038654&tstart=0&mod=1129828047752
Quote:Sorry, but I can't imagine eBay paying big bucks for smart or otherwise attorneys.  I think eBay probably goes to the library and uses those do it yourself forms.

Laughing4
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5