TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: New Safe Payment Policy: eBay Bans Many 3rd Party Non PayPal Payment Processors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
No Doubt.
Quote:***Paying Safely: The Key to a Successful eBay Purchase*** 

01 December, 2005 | 06:10PM GMT

Choosing a safe payment method on eBay is critical when it comes to protecting yourself and your money. We’ve got lots of information on the site to help you make safe payment decisions: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confidence/...ments.html.

In particular we strongly recommend that you DO NOT pay by instant cash transfer services (such as Western Union or MoneyGram) or cash because these methods are not secure. You can find out more and [url=http://pages.ebay.co.uk/safetycentre/moneytransfer.html]here.

Very soon, we will be banning instant cash transfer services and cash (in most cases) as payment methods on eBay.co.uk. Under the new policy, sellers will not be allowed to ask buyers to send cash in the post or ask buyers to send payment through instant cash transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) such as Western Union or Moneygram.

If you want to find out more about trading safely on eBay you can find lots of tips and advice in our comprehensive Safety Centre.

If you would like to know about online safety in general, eBay has teamed up with the Government, banks and other online household names to produce a website and campaign that shows you how to Get Safe Online.

Accepted Payment Methods

# PayPal
# Credit Card
# Personal or Bank Cheques
# Postal Orders
# Escrow
# Bank to Bank Wire Transfers

No mention in the announcement of whether services which are regulated by the UK government such as Moneybookers, NoChex, PPPay.com Instant will be allowed.

eBay wants buyers to report sellers who request cash or Western Union.
Quote:Under the new policy, sellers will not be allowed to ask buyers to send cash in the post or ask buyers to send payment through instant cash transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) such as Western Union or Moneygram.

What the boink is PayPal?

A non regulated, non bank transfere service. :blinkie:
eBay Canada introduces safe payment policy

Quote:**Policy Announcement: Safe Payments Policy*** 

21 December, 2005 | 09:51

Hi, this is Rob Chesnut, head of eBay's global Trust & Safety organization. Completing a transaction with a safe, convenient payment method is an important part of trading on eBay. Buyers have a wide variety of choices about how to pay eBay sellers, and while most of the payment methods offered by eBay sellers offer a high degree of safety and convenience, a few simply are not appropriate for the eBay marketplace.

Based on safety concerns and input from the Community, we feel it's time to establish a Safe Payments Policy that clarifies eBay's position on payment methods. This policy will be enforced beginning January 15, 2006 and will not affect any commonly used payment method on eBay today.

Sincerely,

Rob Chesnut
Overpaid Incompetent Senior Vice President, Trust & Safety

the Safe Payment information page: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/safe-...olicy.html

Quote:Policy

Permitted on eBay.ca:

* Sellers may offer to accept PayPal, credit cards including Mastercard/Visa /Amex/Discover, debit cards and bank electronic payments online for eBay purchases.
    * Sellers may also offer to accept bank-to-bank transfers, often known as bank wire transfers or bank cash transfers, and the online money order service BidPay.
    * Sellers may accept COD (cash on delivery) or cash for in person transactions.
    * Sellers may offer to accept payment through Certapay.
    * Sellers may offer to accept personal cheques, money orders (including BidPay), cashier’s cheques, certified cheques, Canadian Tire 'Money'™ and other negotiable instruments.

Not permitted on eBay.ca:

* Sellers may not solicit buyers to mail cash.
    * Sellers may not ask buyers to send cash through instant cash transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) such as Western Union or Moneygram.
    * Sellers may not ask buyers to pay with Stormpay, Greenzap.com, e-gold payments, eBullion.
    * Sellers may not solicit payment through “topping off” of a seller’s pre-paid credit or debit card.
    * Finally, sellers may not request payment through online payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy.
Again: ebay and PP both claim that PP is not a bank but it simply transfers money.
So doesn't that make them a "money transfer service"?

As usual they contradict themselves at every turn.
I'm so glad ebay doesn't tell me how to run my business.

I feel real sorry for any seller left their that still feels they are a sovereign business operating in ebays "venue".

The truth of the matter is these hold outs work for ebay and pay ebay to do so.

Sorry but that is just how I see it and I mean no disrespect to any
full time seller who STILL only sells on feebay.

I wonder how many more will fall off the site on this principal alone.

Telling you or I what type of payment one can and can not accept is unacceptable
to me and is absurd. IMO IT is in direct VIOLATION of free enterprise laws.

Again I see anti trust as ebay is in violation anti competitive laws and anti competitive conduct insofar as this policy. 

I'm so glad I'm about outa there.  :-)
PayPal-only for payments on eBay just moved one step closer to reality:  BidPay, the only alternative payment service eBau will allow under this new Safe Payment Policy, announced they will be shutting down effective December 31st.

http://community.tuliptools.com/index.ph...w.html#new

EDITED to add:  This is also going to force all of the people who only accept BidPay on international orders to either take PayPal or stop shipping internationally.
I wonder how much it cost eBay to pay 'em off!
[quote author=Anita link=topic=829.msg6538#msg6538 date=1135368739]
I wonder how much it cost eBay to pay 'em off!
[/quote]

I wonder if eBay paid 'em off with a site credit to be issued later  Happy001
ROTFLMAO!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5