TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay: Actively Destroying Small US Businesses. Is Using Them Worth the Risk?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
That would be another  BangHead.  If folks want to give away an extra $34 a month, they should just send it to me.    Wink 

I just don't get it. 

There was a poster not long ago who said she'd taken out a loan and spent $7000 on inventory to sell on eBay.  She had no experience selling on eBay.

Quote:There was a poster not long ago who said she'd taken out a loan and spent $7000 on inventory to sell on eBay.  She had no experience selling on eBay.

I missed that post.
I can't find it now.  :-(

It started out as a "why am I not selling more" post by a newbie and it turns out she was newly disabled or something like that and had taken out a loan and purchased inventory so she could sell on eBay.      She had NO experience selling and it didn't seem like she had much experience on the net in general.  And IIRC she said she'd spent $7000 on inventory. 

IIRC she got upset in the thread when folks started suggesting the usual - start selling things around the house, etc. to learn how things work, because she'd alread invested all this money (that she had to borrow) in stuff to sell.

It was sad.  :-(
Is this the thread?  This one had 7000 items

New to selling I ahve over 7,000 items
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?m...1003424441&forumID=21
That's it.
7000 items.  Several thousand dollars.  Loan.

[quote author=iron_chick link=topic=2144.msg8091#msg8091 date=1137840264]
That's it.
7000 items.  Several thousand dollars.  Loan. [/quote]

Loan.  Ugh.  :blinkie:  I hope she does well but I'm not too optimistic after reading that thread.  Sad
I'm not, either.  :-(

The only money I spend on inventory is money I've netted from sales.  I started out selling stuff around the house - heh . . . including gifts from an ex-boy friend.  Whip2    I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable even now taking out a loan to buy inventory because I still have a lot to learn. 

Heck, I've just in the last week been willing to pony up more than a quarter a book for my book stock.  :-) 

Cautious Nellie Beth
Another seller who could have her business ruined due to an eBay billing error .

Quote:My purse was stolen shortly before Xmas. I reported my checking account as being stolen. I acquired a new account. I changed my account info in my eBay so they would debit the new account. They can't figure it out.

They just sent me an email demanding DOUBLE the amount I owe for this month's debit insisting I make a payment immediately or my account will be restricted. They're doing exactly what I feared...they're trying to force a debit thru the old checking account.

AND...they informed me that a 'returned item fee' may appear on my next invoice. I don't THINK so!

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?t...2000072565&tstart=0

iron_chick Wrote:I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable even now taking out a loan to buy inventory because I still have a lot to learn. 

I wouldn't take out a loan to start a business I was unfamiliar with which is what that seller seems to have done.
I wouldn't take out a loan to sell ANYTHING on eBay because you never know how eBay's daily changes/glitches/enhancements may affect what you are selling... not to mention the fact that eBay can screw up your account, reputation, listings, etc. at any given moment.
The only money I take out all the time is the few funds
paid me when people still us my PP account to pay for stuff.

I consider funds in my PP account like a "loan".
Because you never know when they may want "my" money BACK. 

Laughing4
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6