TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay Store Owners Get Screwed by Bill Cobb! Stores Fee Hike Announced!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[quote author=iron_chick link=topic=4456.msg18198#msg18198 date=1153408628]
As for Marty . . . well, this does sorta through a wrench in the whole "put it in your store at a really high price and accept BO" . . .
[/quote]
I just can't believe they're tiering store insertion fees.  If I had a store right now, I'd have to pay the ten cents, cuz I don't sell anything under $25.  It's all downright extortion.
[quote author=stardust link=topic=4456.msg18212#msg18212 date=1153416222]
[quote author=iron_chick link=topic=4456.msg18198#msg18198 date=1153408628]
As for Marty . . . well, this does sorta through a wrench in the whole "put it in your store at a really high price and accept BO" . . .
[/quote]
I just can't believe they're tiering store insertion fees.  If I had a store right now, I'd have to pay the ten cents, cuz I don't sell anything under $25.  It's all downright extortion.
[/quote]

Extortion is the UK rates that were announced this morning $0.06-$0.20.
[quote author=sneakymagenta link=topic=4456.msg18180#msg18180 date=1153405163]
Pied Piper of Prattle Wrote:1- I think Stores will come back to Core search. I think the clue is when Cobb said it will NEVER be back in core. They will pull this out of their pocket , just watch!

Happy001 Happy001
[/quote]

Does this advice replace the "put your store on vacation to fix search problems" advice?  Smile
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=4456.msg18215#msg18215 date=1153417084]
Pied Piper of Prattle Wrote:1- I think Stores will come back to Core search. I think the clue is when Cobb said it will NEVER be back in core. They will pull this out of their pocket , just watch!

Happy001 Happy001
[/quote]

Does this advice replace the "put your store on vacation to fix search problems" advice?  Smile
[/quote]

For most it's like load gun... point at screen and kill that Store matha  Lol
Bbh said:
Quote:Extortion is the UK rates that were announced this morning $0.06-$0.20.

the UK stores are striking on August 15.
[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=4456.msg18215#msg18215 date=1153417084]

Happy001 Happy001
[/quote]

[/quote]

And then even if ebay were to revert back, it still shows how unstable things are.  I like CSS's idea of focusing on getting someone fired.  Without that happening, there's no way that any ebay decision can be trusted to stick.
Bloomberg video interview with Meg Whitman 20 July
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=business&id=4385398

Article on eBay's US rate hike:
Quote:Whitman's EBay Says Rate Hikes Are Great Equalizer

Leveling downward? Or reversing the "koyaanisqatsi"--the Hopi Indian word (and a pretentious art film title) meaning, "life out of balance."

There's a disconnect that eBay Chief Executive Meg Whitman wants to correct. Via a rate hike.

EBay has been accused of losing touch with the very people who nurtured it: Users who saw themselves as the grass-roots mavericks of e-commerce, trading in a postmodern mom-and-pop return to freewheeling Yankee individualism...

full article: http://www.forbes.com/2006/07/20/ebay-ra...can08.html

Shooting star who has helped me a TON posts on store's board. YAY Mike! Kim:

Quote:pls  (27279 ) View Listings | Report  Jul-21-06 19:18 PDT  5 of 6
Hi

There is life after eBay. I was a powerseller listing 100's of items everyday on eBay. The increases in February of 2005 were the final straw for me. I sold off most of my inventory, closed my eBay stores, opened a web site and concentrated on one small part of what I was doing. I am much more successful now than when I was just doing eBay.

I still use eBay under another user name, but it compliments my web store. My ebay fees used to be $2K to $3K a month, now they are less than $200. I do spend a lot more with Google, but it's a very efficient and cost effective way to bring customers to my store.

The best advice I can give anyone is find your niche and open your own web store. It takes a while to get it up and running, so if eBay is a major part of your income, you're going to need to tread carefully. There is a learning curve about how to promote your own site and get sales rolling in, but there is so much information available to help you now on the internet. I search Google a lot and have found some really helpful things for free.

Good Luck. I know this is a tough time for many of you.

From his "me" page:

Quote:I BROKE THE EBAY HABIT!

I was an eBay seller spending over $2000 a month on eBay fees.
NO MORE!
I still sell online, but now the money goes in my pocket, not eBays, and I have higher sales (and PROFIT) every month than I had on eBay.
I'm just glad I don't have an eBay store.  I wouldn't like getting screwed by Bill Cobb.  Big Grin
Blogging stocks has some analyst comments on eBay.

Quote:Piper Jaffray: "We believe that this is the right strategy but we are concerned that this may further upset sellers and decrease listings without a notable increase in conversions." Cut EPS estimates for 2006 and 2007 and lowered price target to $30 from $31.

Stifel Nicolaus: the analyst believes the negative sentiment prior to Q2 was due to concerns about the shift to SIF, but raising fees could create higher commission and faster turnover. He thinks growth might actually accelerate later in the year.

Goldman Sachs: Agrees with above: "The fee change could make this quarter mark the bottom in decline of revenue per listing." Left earnings estimate unchanged and $54 target price.

full article and all comments: http://ge.bloggingstocks.com/2006/07/20/...c-shmagic/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10