TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: eBay Store Owners Get Screwed by Bill Cobb! Stores Fee Hike Announced!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
The writer invites you to leave a comment on his blog  Smile

Quote:Apparently, the moves eBay made in the second quarter to promote auction listings over Store listings in search results didn't do the trick, which put a damper on U.S. revenue growth.

No doubt, a lot of merchants will scream bloody murder. Big whoop. The thing to watch for real insight into whether this will help recharge eBay's growth--which ain't bad but not good enough for investors...

full article: http://blogs.businessweek.com/the_thread...fee_h.html

Quote:The writer invites you to leave a comment on his blog

And of course Ebay's newest cheerleader Faerie posted a cheerleader-style comment with a link to her website.  Smileykoolaid or  Tool?
I'm probably going to tick off a lot of people.  The fee hike sucks.  I agree.  Why did it take this to get everyone riled?  What about all the services sellers have been paying for that are constantly broken???

eBay sucks and always has.  WALK out of there people!
[quote author=Anita link=topic=4456.msg18621#msg18621 date=1153837823]
I'm probably going to tick off a lot of people.  The fee hike sucks.  I agree.  Why did it take this to get everyone riled?  What about all the services sellers have been paying for that are constantly broken???

[/quote]

I walked out when Ebay's recent search manipulation tanked my sales. Today I am enjoying baiting one of Ebay's spin-doctors AKA Voices. Ebay is still good for something.  Wink

[/quote]

Fee hikes are not what killed ebay. That was low on my list of complaints. Even the glitches were generally somewhat tolerable for me. The fact that they kept changing like a ball in a pinball machine is what did them in, along with complicating the hell out of their site.

Why the rise in popularity in Craigslist? It's simple as hell and allows buyers and sellers to contact each other directly and work things out like adults. Is there fraud? Sure. But at least you get to size a seller up, even meeting them in person  without having to trust a ridiculous feedback system.

CL isn't for everyone but I love locally based venues where you can sell big stuff without having to follow a bunch of silly rules designed to protect only the corporations. Those rules are not designed to help you or me.

[/quote]

You won't tick us off.

Marketworks--When Marketworks almost doubled fees in the Fall of 2004 we didn't mind because their service was still good and even with the higher fees it was still a good value.  We didn't start chanting 'Marketworks sucks' until their service levels declined and the system became almost unusable at times (we remain at Marketworks for 2 reasons: the competition in the same price range is worse, and we haven't paid any fees since May 2005 due to some platinum and gold power sellers who used us as referrals when they joined).

eBay--90% of our 11,500+ eBay transaction occured from Q3 '01 to Q1 '04. 2003 was our best year on eBay (during the Summer that year we were shipping 20-40 packages daily),  but it was also the year we decided we needed to move most of our selling business off eBay.  Fees really didn't factor into our decision.

There were several reasons we made the decision to lessen our dependence on eBay that year:

--sellthrough rates in our categories started to fall that Spring due to a large influx of new sellers .  We were able to compensate for the sliding sellthroughs by raising the number of items we listed but we knew the situation wasn't going to improve and would eventually lead to sharply lower ASPs
--changes to the way stores were selected for the 'see items in eBay Stores' box eliminated the benefits of having a featured store (before the changes our Store had been in the box on almost every search)
--eBay's increasingly heavy hand in setting the rules by which business operated on its site and a an increase in enhancements that required constant revisions to our business. Both factors made it increasingly hard to operate by our business plan rather than by being forced to formulate a business plan that was shaped by eBay's decisions

...and the biggest factor for our decision to move most of our business off eBay: constant glitches during the holiday season that Fall which caused our September-December sales to fall short of 2002 holiday levels.  The infamous disappearing stores item glitch (when you have 800-1000 items in your store and customers are only seeing 200-400 it hurts) which started Labor Day 2003 and continued throughout the rest of the year was the biggest glitch but there were many other glitches (one of which was specific to our main category because eBay made an error in its code when it introduced item specifics to our category and it took them a month to fix it).
I probably (maybe) wouldn't mind the fees at eBay IF the FRICKIN' SITE worked more often, they didn't make changes DAILY, and if they had their heads not stuck up their asses more often then not.

I have NO PROBLEM with paying a price for a product/service that is worth it.
[quote author=Anita link=topic=4456.msg18629#msg18629 date=1153844964]
I probably (maybe) wouldn't mind the fees at eBay IF the FRICKIN' SITE worked more often, they didn't make changes DAILY, and if they had their heads not stuck up their asses more often then not.

I have NO PROBLEM with paying a price for a product/service that is worth it.

[/quote]

100% dittos.

Quote:danse  (347 )  View Listings | Report  Jul-25-06 09:51 PDT  164 of 165 
Bugger off bargain go on an start your website and watch it send everyone back to Ebay for a look see.

big lot of experience comming out of your mouth
talk about ego

gems

danse  (347 )  View Listings | Report  Jul-25-06 09:52 PDT  165 of 165 
sorry about that...when danse is away the employees play

*rotflmao*

gems

Nice mouth, danse.

Found here:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?t...1000324254&start=160

Looks like she already reported the "bugger off" post.

I was just about to press the submit button when I noticed cranky had already saved the posts.  Happy001

Quote:Looks like she already reported the "bugger off" post.

...or she was pink slapped for both of them  (the 2nd one is also gone)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10