TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Censorship on Forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Sorry MrO, but there had been similar asshole comments made on FAS earlier last year that both Thentavius and I complained about:

From Google's cache:

bargainbloodhound at FAS on 6/20/05 Wrote:There were several posts in the Community Lounge last month by several other FAS members that were very biased against Mexicans...nothing was done about those posts. There have also been bigoted comments made about both Arabs and Moslems in the past by FAS members--and nothing was done about those comments.

I don't think that comments that are biased/bigoted against any ethnic group/race/religion should be allowed...

thentavius at FAS on 6/20/05 Wrote:BBH--I did indeed see other members' unkind posts about Arabs, Turkish, Mexicans, and others. And each time I have done something about it. I don't advertise when I do something about it each time--but I do indeed do something. Racism hurts no matter what the culture or target...
Mr.O,

I am not even going to bother to refute what you said. (Although I am reserving the right to change my mind after I down 3-4 addtl. cups of java) It is total NONSENSE.

For anyone reading this thread, I am reposting Sneaky's original link below. The link leads to a thread on "The Ross Show" from late 2005. Judge for yourselves.

http://therossshow.com/showthread.php?t=3366&page=2&pp=24

Quote from Thentavius:
Quote:BBH--I did indeed see other members' unkind posts about Arabs, Turkish, Mexicans, and others. And each time I have done something about it. I don't advertise when I do something about it each time--but I do indeed do something. Racism hurts no matter what the culture or target...

And this is how it should be. Thumbsup
I'm not defending racist comments. I'm trying to draw a distinction between ignorance and racism. I never heard of at least two of the terms the archdeacon rattled off. It would be entirely possible for the always well-intentioned MrO to retell a joke that included a racist remark, completely unaware. That's ignorance. I spend a lot more time reading computer books than Miss Manners, which might come as a surprise to many people.

I bet it would take only a few minutes for me to find a list of more than 1,000 racial/ethnic slurs. It's ALMOST inexcusable to not know the main ones, but nobody knows them all. NOOOOOOOObody!

My second point is you don't educate people ABOUT name-calling BY name-calling. That just intensifies the situation. I read it as a bunch of people trying to make the situation worse so they could entertain themselves with a flame war. You shouldn't label someone racist as a knee-jerk reaction. That dilutes the seriousness of the charge. You don't call someone a moron if you are trying to encourage them to be  sensitive to other people.
Living over seas as a teenager and in an Arab country
I learned that racism has no place even if other
people from other races are racists.

Before going over seas I lived in a small town but came from a divers
larger city / area (Miami Fla) so I already had a tastes of the melting pots brew...
and I liked it.

In my travels I have the opportunity to live and play
w people from MANY different countries and ethnic backgrounds:

Blacks, Latinos, Chinese, Arabs, Jews, Germans, Britts, Turks, Italians, Japanese,
Ethiopians, Indian, Pakistani, you name them chances are I've interacted with
at least one from just about any ethnic group around the globe.

I should have just said: black, red, yellow white,
but wanted to make sure I was understood.

In my travels I have found the most racist and arrogant to be
north American white males.

The most memorable moment I have was sitting in a cafe in
Athens w my step dad talking to a
nice Asian fellow in English.

I guess my point is we are all one in the same, universally speaking.. no matter
what or how certain groups view us all.
We are all brothers and sisters in the human race.

One exception... I do loath lieworld type humans and would still condone stringing
them up, cutting of their heads, or placing them in front of a firing squad.  Laughing7

Humans from all races and backgrounds I can tolerate, embrace and respect ..
but all bets are off when it comes to those acting sub- human...
no matter where the come from
or the color of their skin.
Quote:I'm not defending racist comments. I'm trying to draw a distinction between ignorance and racism.

There is NO distinction. Those who are racist, are ignorant. Even so, ignorance is no excuse. Legally, we are responsible for our actions whether we are aware of the law or not. Imagine if everyone pleaded ignorance and were allowed to get away with it.

Quote:It would be entirely possible for the always well-intentioned MrO to retell a joke that included a racist remark, completely unaware.

I sincerely doubt that you are unaware of what is and is not considered racist or politically incorrect. If you are, as I stated previously, ignorance is simply no excuse unless you are mentally challenged.

Quote:I read it as a bunch of people trying to make the situation worse so they could entertain themselves with a flame war. You shouldn't label someone racist as a knee-jerk reaction. That dilutes the seriousness of the charge. You don't call someone a moron if you are trying to encourage them to be  sensitive to other people.

I don't believe that the people on that thread were trying to educate anyone. I know I wouldn't have. You can't educate a racist into not being a racist----they have to want to do that themselves.Didn't see ANY indication of that desire on the part of the two posters we are discussing.

Quote:I read it as a bunch of people trying to make the situation worse so they could entertain themselves with a flame war. You shouldn't label someone racist as a knee-jerk reaction. That dilutes the seriousness of the charge. You don't call someone a moron if you are trying to encourage them to be  sensitive to other people.

I disagree. I don't think they were trying to make the situation worse. I think they were, as I am, totally disgusted and nauseated. And sometimes, you have to call a thing what it is. In this case, that would be a racist.

Quote:I guess my point is we are all one in the same, universally speaking.. no matter
what or how certain groups view us all.
We are all brothers and sisters in the human race.

Bravo, Xp.
[quote author=BellisimaJ.]There is NO distinction. Those who are racist, are ignorant. Even so, ignorance is no excuse. Legally, we are responsible for our actions whether we are aware of the law or not. Imagine if everyone pleaded ignorance and were allowed to get away with it.[/quote]The judge will almost always show leniency on a first offense, particularly if there is an indication of remorse. You are ignorant of both the law and racist comments. It would be a breeze to prove it. It's not because you are mentally challenged.

[quote author=BellisimaJ.]I don't believe that the people on that thread were trying to educate anyone. I know I wouldn't have. You can't educate a racist into not being a racist----they have to want to do that themselves.Didn't see ANY indication of that desire on the part of the two posters we are discussing.[/quote]I believe that there is good in everybody. You bring it out by encouraging the good, and not broadcasting the bad. I saw two posters who were labled, backed into a corner, and just trying to explain their perspective.

I peed my pants in first grade. Does that make me a pants-pee-er for life? Hope not! The teacher educated me by saying just go to the bathroom without waiting for permission NEXT time if it's that much of an emergency! Talk about nauseating the class. The teacher could have brought it up every class, but she chose not to. If she had, I almost guarantee you I would have rebelled against the label by peeing on her desk.

Quote:The judge will almost always show leniency on a first offense, particularly if there is an indication of remorse.

Where is the remorse? I certainly saw none. And, if remorse HAD been expressed, it would have been expressed merely because they got caught with their skirts down.

Quote:You are ignorant of both the law and racist comments. It would be a breeze to prove it. It's not because you are mentally challenged.
Happy001
Prove it, Mr.O. I dare you . Smile
Beware, you know little about me.

Quote:I peed my pants in first grade. Does that make me a pants-pee-er for life? Hope not! The teacher educated me by saying just go to the bathroom without waiting for permission NEXT time if it's that much of an emergency! Talk about nauseating the class. The teacher could have brought it up every class, but she chose not to. If she had, I almost guarantee you I would have rebelled against the label by peeing on her desk.

So you are saying that they have the mental aptitude of 1st graders? Hmmm.....I could probably agree with that.
Now if  I call someone a honky pants-pee-er... that would be raciest.

And if one called someone stoopid because they didn't know anything about MySQL,
that would be stating the someone is ignorant about MySQL.

Either comment is not helpful and usually used in a context to ridicule another.  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21