TulipTools Internet Business Owners and Online Sellers Community

Full Version: Censorship on Forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Quote:happy001
Prove it, Mr.O. I dare you . Smiley
Beware, you know little about me.
Proving the law thing should be easy. There are too many laws. I'm killing myself all the time trying to understand just the stupid different open source licenses, what the differences are, what is black, white, and gray. You should just give in on that one.

The racial thing is easy to prove, but you have to be honest. Read the list, which I'm sure is a partial list, and tell me the truth. You don't have it memorized yet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs
[quote author=xppman link=topic=4715.msg20653#msg20653 date=1155399122]
Now if  I call someone a honky pants-pee-er... that would be raciest.

And if one called someone stoopid because they didn't know anything about MySQL,
that would be stating the someone is ignorant about MySQL.

Either comment is not helpful and usually used in a context to ridicule another.  ;D
[/quote]I think I agree with that. I mean the second one. If somebody says something majorly bad, isn't it best to pm them first? Save calling people "stoopid" for context that is clearly just joking around.
Quote:The racial thing is easy to prove, but you have to be honest. Read the list, which I'm sure is a partial list, and tell me the truth. You don't have it memorized yet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

O, that list contains terms that most people, myself included, would not be familiar with. However, every one of those terms could be avoided by using common sense. I mean, really, would you think to call anyone an "8-Ball" accidentally? Get real, O.

Quote:Proving the law thing should be easy. There are too many laws. I'm killing myself all the time trying to understand just the stupid different open source licenses, what the differences are, what is black, white, and gray. You should just give in on that one.

While there may be many laws most of us are not personally familiar with, if we apply common sense we can generally avoid breaking them. Again, you are wrong.

Quote:If somebody says something majorly bad, isn't it best to pm them first? Save calling people "stoopid" for context that is clearly just joking around.

They were not joking. Do not even compare their comments/behavior to pants peeing, etc. Your whole premise is ridiculous.
Btw, a joke with racist leanings is in very poor taste and indicates that the "comic" is racist. With obvious exceptions.

Anything else, O? Bring it.
[quote author=BellisimaJ. link=topic=4715.msg20656#msg20656 date=1155400592]
O, that list contains terms that most people, myself included, would not be familiar with. However, every one of those terms could be avoided by using common sense. I mean, really, would you think to call anyone an "8-Ball" accidentally? Get real, O.[/quote]Not at all. "Yankee" is on the list. It's a matter of degree. The slurs go all the way from 0 to 10 on a 10-point scale in terms of offensiveness. Ethnic slurs are disgned to be abstract, making them difficult to enforce. I never near the slur against Muslims until after the 9/11 attack. I was not in much of a Muslim-defending mood at that time, although I did have a very good Saudi-Arabian friend. I call my daughter [insert word]-head all the time, like goof-head, girly-head, puppy-head, etc. It's not necessarily that insulting. I think I can call Mandy a Britt, OK. But supposedly it's an insult to shorten "Japanese." My uncle told me about a guy at work who'd ask his Italian co-worker, "How'd the Day go?" as an intended slur. The Italian "got it" and was pissed, but there was nothing he could do, really. I don't understand why people walk around with a chip on their shoulder, but I just avoid all that stuff.

Quote:While there may be many laws most of us are not personally familiar with, if we apply common sense we can generally avoid breaking them. Again, you are wrong.
No I am not wrong because copyright law is very hard to understand. I'm trying to understand open source licensing. Each license has implications that you don't see unless you read about the court cases. Then you have to weigh up the advantages/disadvantages of working under one license compared to another.
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

Quote:They were not joking. Do not even compare their comments/behavior to pants peeing, etc. Your whole premise is ridiculous.
Btw, a joke with racist leanings is in very poor taste and indicates that the "comic" is racist. With obvious exceptions.
The issue that started it all was about Sikhs (I believe) being permitted to where their cerimonial knife to High School graduation. The individual was bothered by what he felt was preferential treatment. That is a serious issue, so of course he was serious, if inappropriate. I didn't read the whole thing or understand the whole situation. Did he get kicked off the forum? Were others just trying to minimize the offense?
[/quote]
Quote:The judge will almost always show leniency on a first offense, particularly if there is an indication of remorse. You are ignorant of both the law and racist comments. It would be a breeze to prove it. It's not because you are mentally challenged.

The Ross Show wasn't the first offense...see my previous quotes from FAS.  It was at least the 4th offense.  There were 3 that I saw on FAS, including one extremely hate filled remark about Moslems during WP.

[quote author=bargainbloodhound link=topic=4715.msg20660#msg20660 date=1155406111]
The Ross Show wasn't the first offense...see my previous quotes from FAS.  It was at least the 4th offense.  There were 3 that I saw on FAS, including one extremely hate filled remark about Moslems during WP.
[/quote]That's not good at all. Not cool.
Quote:Not at all. "Yankee" is on the list. It's a matter of degree. The slurs go all the way from 0 to 10 on a 10-point scale in terms of offensiveness.

Oh pleeeeease, lets not be purposefully obtuse here. We all know the degrees of ethnic slurs. Yankee may be a slur coming from a white Southern person to a white Northerner, but it is not a big deal. Actually, having lived down South for 10 years or so, I was called that many times---never took offense. So stop mixing it up here.
You know what is and is not acceptable, as do most people that are not mentally challenged.
That being said, the issue for me is the fact that they ARE racists, whether or not they make obvious remarks. I thoroughly dislike racists, and will not knowingly associate with them. If you choose to do so, so be it.But, don't make them out to be something they are not.

Quote:I call my daughter [insert word]-head all the time, like goof-head, girly-head, puppy-head, etc. It's not necessarily that insulting. I think I can call Mandy a Britt, OK.

O, you are talking apples and oranges here.It is all a matter of perception.

Quote:No I am not wrong because copyright law is very hard to understand. I'm trying to understand open source licensing. Each license has implications that you don't see unless you read about the court cases. Then you have to weigh up the advantages/disadvantages of working under one license compared to another.
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

Lol, MO, you proved my point. You obviouly realize that you do need to be aware of the laws that relate to open source licensing, and so are researching them.
Point proven.

Quote:The issue that started it all was about Sikhs (I believe) being permitted to where their cerimonial knife to High School graduation. The individual was bothered by what he felt was preferential treatment. That is a serious issue, so of course he was serious, if inappropriate. I didn't read the whole thing or understand the whole situation. Did he get kicked off the forum? Were others just trying to minimize the offense?

You really should have read the whole thread. Your "friends" really showed all readers and participants exactly who they are. I wouldn't be caught dead defending their behavior if they were my own children, God forbid.
Btw, I didn't see any mention of anyone being kicked off of the forum.
And, their mental acuity was far inferior to most of the other posters on that thread.
Quote:I didn't see any mention of anyone being kicked off of the forum.

Nobody was kicked off Ross.

Parklane64 was stripped of his moderator duties at OTWA last October as a result of the "raghead" comment he had made on OTWA (the quote that started that thread)..  He was later banned from OTWA in May as a result of his comment to Jim the owner on this thread.  Parklane has admitted he's a bigot and seems to be quite proud of being a pig.

http://www.otwa.com/community/showthread...post355014
[quote author=amy link=topic=4715.msg20663#msg20663 date=1155409655]

Parklane64 was stripped of his moderator duties at OTWA last October as a result of the "raghead" comment he had made on OTWA (the quote that started that thread)..  He was later banned from OTWA in May as a result of his comment to Jim the owner on this thread.  Parklane has admitted he's a bigot and seems to be quite proud of being a pig.

[/quote]OK. I am convinced. Problem Solved.
[quote author=amy link=topic=4715.msg20663#msg20663 date=1155409655]

[/quote]

Parklane64 was just retained as a monitor at Rev's Roadhouse.

http://reverendcolin.proboards98.com/index.cgi?board=mw&action=display&thread=1154966588

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21